AVIC411.com

Just an observation - Voice Commands on the x910bt are crap

I have seen the user "Newman" suggest that our units would perfectly fine if we waited some nominal amount of time for the Avic to recognize voice commands. I'm here to say that NO amount of waiting or any degree of the purple circle countdown allows the Avic (I have a x910BT) to recognize even simple voice commands. I have a mid-western accent which I have tried modifying, speeding up, slowing down, pausing before I start speaking - I still get a 10%-25% success rate for simple commands and a 0% with more complicated commands (usually by changing my ipod to some random artist). If you have the same experience, you are not alone. It appears that the vast majority of these units have VR issues. I constantly ask people how my voice sounds over the Mic to see if there is any distortion that would cause the VR problems - most people say that my voice is clear and understandable. So I doubt this has anything to do with installation or hardware. VR remains the single glaring weakness in Avic-X units and I have seen no response from Pioneer on this issue. :evil:

You could be right but I am just speaking from experience. We have installed more than 25 X910s in the last couple months and we installed countless F series last year. Of all of the complains we had about the VR, not a single one ended up being the VR software. every single one was user error or phonebook entry problems.

most issues I saw were users with iPhones and it always ended up being the phonebook settings in the iPhone.

as for the ipod, i do not have a reason why the ipod VR is not working for you. the only problems i have seen with ipod VR have ended up being user error or VR Cataloging errors.

there is always the possibility there is a problem with the VR software but if you are getting a 25% success rate that seems unlikely. i would expect it to be a 0% success rate if there were problems.

sorry I couldnt help.

here is something else i figured out about the bluetooth...

when you update the phonebook in your PHONE and want to tranfer it to the unit there are a series of steps you need to follow to make it work correctly.

when you press the TRANSFER CONTACTS icon it will give you a message that says something like "ALL CURRENT ENTRIES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN. DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE?" unfortunately even if you hit YES this will not overwrite the CONTACTS on the unit. it should, but it doesnt. so if you have taken all of the symbols and periods and apostropes out of your phone and then "OVERWRITE" the old contacts in the navi with the new ones, this will not actually change anything.

this is what you need to do...

with your phone connected:

1.) go into phone setup and scroll down to CLEAR MEMORY

2.) choose CLEAR all and confirm that you want to clear the memory from the navi

3.) disconnect your phone

4.) delete the phone from the navi's bluetooth memory

5.) delete the navi from the phone's bluetooth memory

6.) turn off the navi

7.) re-pair your phone to the navi bluetooth

8.) re-transfer your contacts

it is stupid that you have to do it this way but this is the only way I have found that it works.

so for all you out there who tried what i suggested about taking all ampersands, commas, periods, dashes..etc... out of your phonebook, you need to follow these steps to see if that truely solves your problem.

i know this wont help with any of the iPod VR issues but I wanted to make this known in case it does help some of you with your bluetooth VR problems.

I will attest that I was very frustrated with the voice dialing. I have read through several posts and while the consensus seemed to be that special characters were the culprit, I was sure I didn't have any. That is until I received a phone call the other day from a friend of mine, we'll call Mr. Cedeño. Then it struck me, the tilde. Yesterday I changed the ñ to just an n and resynced my phone and contacts. After that, I was able to call about 6 different people with 100% accuracy. I am very pleased now.

the multi-function key is the black knob on the left of your unit. rotate it to control volume. press left and right to change song/radio station, press up and down on map screen to zoom in and out, and press straight in to active voice commands.

the voice commands will not activate unless you are on the map screen or a source screen (radio, cd, ipod...etc..). if you are on a menu screen or setting screen pressing in on the knob will not do anything.

also, the voice command software is pretty much the last thing to load when the unit turns on so it does take a couple minutes before you are able to use the voice commands when you first get into the car. if you press the knob before the voice software loads it will not do anything.