AVIC411.com

Iphone 3GS no more charging since 3.1

I had the same problem with a 3rd party AV cable. The official rumour is that Apple has made a change in the new firmware to make it ignore anything but Apple cables (apparently they have a chip in the connector). I could get audio but not video.

However, my Pioneer cable still works fine.

Your options are:

1) Buy the Apple cable and support the dirty tricks campaign

2) Get a different MP3 player with USB

3) Get a huge SD card and stick your music on that

4) There is an article somewhere (in Hacks/Mods I think) that shows how to couple up a 2.5" hard drive

5) Stop whinging and put the radio on :-)

This is a common trait with Apple products - I think it may even constitute market protectionism in Europe and therefore subject to unfair trading laws.

I have an F700BT and wished now that I had stayed with Kenwood. I takes about 3.5 minutes just to boot the thing. That said, when it's running (it got returned to Pioneer at 11 months old), it does the job just fine (though in Belgium I get a whole load of Route Recalculation followed by "you should have turned left a quarter of a mile ago"....)

Still not charging here. Consistently giving me the warning that it is not made to charge. :(

Has anyone else had success charging the iPhone 3GS after the latest firmware? It still works on all my other systems (Philips dock, Altec Lansing dock) but not on the Pioneer radio that used to work.

Is it really just changing the cable to one made by Apple?

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

This is my first post on here, but I have been a "guest" for about 2 months. I have been thinking about this problem with the iPhone 3Gs on firmware 3.1.2 charging on the F series. I have an F900 and have done some testing that has yielded some interesting results.

First thing - it appears the 3rd party and official Apple cables both charge the iPhone 3Gs when the USB end of the suspected cable is plugged into a wall mount USB charger with 5V output. I have tested this with 3 wall mount USB chargers. The official Apple charger, a Kodak charger and a no name charger. All of them charge the 3Gs with the official Apple cable, and the 3rd party no name cable.

The same cables, when plugged into the USB input on the F900 does not charge. My only reason for this is that the voltage output from the F900 does not match the required input for the iPhone 3Gs to charge. So this would resolve the issue of pinout mappings and disabling chips, right?

My question to anyone who is savvy: can we get information to build some kind of small inline USB voltage transformer that will fit between the F series unit USB input and the USB end of the multimedia cable?

If this is possible I would be willing to build a test unit - and possibly help build working units for anyone interested.

I do not know the output voltages coming from the USB input on the F900, and what pin they match up to, but I'm fairly confident this is this issue causing the iPhone 3Gs to not charge.

Let me know your thoughts...

-Ben

Just did a little more research and now I'm really intrigued:

If a normal USB system gives this sort of voltage ...

Pin Name Description

1 VBUS +5 VDC

2 D- Data -

3 D+ Data +

4 GND Ground

And charging an iPhone 3Gs 3.1.2 requires 5 volts averaged across pins 2 and 3 (2.5V on each pin) could this be as simple as no reference voltage being applied to pins 2 and 3 on the USB from the headunit? Could a simple jumper between the cables that applies 2.5V to pins 2 and 3, and some resistor from pin 1 to each pin do the trick?

Weigh in whenever anyone has a chance to see if I'm getting ahead of myself here.

***Nevermind - I found a bunch adapters that don't appear to work, that make this all irrelevant***

I do not know whats going on. I just got my Iphone 16 Gb 3Gs with F90BT / F90BT w/genuine Pioneer cable and Charges play's audio /video just fine. Check your connections. Try to plug your Iphone in after your unit boots up fully. See thead's on Iphone Under Other Products near the bottom of the page of the Board Index. :?

BTW I fogot to say before I used a cheap cable from E-bay. It did not charge my I pod touch so I used the charing adapter to 5.0 volts and it did work on Joan's (my wifes) F900BT. I do not like using the adapter so I got a genuine Pioneer cable on E-bay. It works just fine without the adapter. My F90BT came with Pioneer cable it always worked.