AVIC411.com

Can the Z110/F10 be modded ?

I see in this forum that the service manual is now available and apparently contains a way to access the 'testmode' for this unit.

Does this work ?

If it works does this now mean the Z110/F10 can now be modded in the same way as the 900/910 is currently able to ?

Has anyone tried to change things like EZRider, maps licenses etc to determine effect ?

Thanks

TZ

OK , so I take it the service test mode isn't enough ?

I take the point that the 900 series was a 'fluke' but with the recent 3.x firmware the testmode files were 'broken' and needed to be rejigged to get back into the units. Has it been considered and been researched as to whether the testmode for 900 series can be rejigged to work on the Z110/F10 or, is the problem that the system boots from a bootrom (hence the improved startup times) and cannot be attacked the same way ?

I desperately want to upgrade to this unit but, there is no way in hell that I could stand to live with that damned nag screen (I am not a 4 yr old that in unaware of the dangers of driving and staring at a navigation device), nor the inability to upgrade the maps on at least a biannual basis without a ludicrous price (the TomTom cost of maps is £75 a year which I consider reasonable).

I already did , the F910 about two months ago but , I would like to upgrade to the Z110/F10 but I know how much the nag screen annoyed me and how much map updates would be required.

Just curious since the Z110-bt is the first aftermarket unit I've had in a car in about 25 years... what about the F910 do you dislike? Why do you want to upgrade?

Well , there is not a lot about the F910 that I dislike (once it is modded to remove the nag screen and be able to update maps) but, the Z110/F10 has a larger screen , less mechanical buttons (so is more aesthetically pleasing IMO) and lacks the iPod connection method that the F910 has (which is frankly ludicrous considering Alpine have had direct USB iPod connection for years). Add to that the improved startup times , the allegedly better display of navi info and voice control and you have what in my opinion is an upgrade from the F910 that some many consider insignificant but I would like to see (once the unit is hacked).

Well , there is not a lot about the F910 that I dislike (once it is modded to remove the nag screen and be able to update maps) but, the Z110/F10 has a larger screen , less mechanical buttons (so is more aesthetically pleasing IMO) and lacks the iPod connection method that the F910 has (which is frankly ludicrous considering Alpine have had direct USB iPod connection for years). Add to that the improved startup times , the allegedly better display of navi info and voice control and you have what in my opinion is an upgrade from the F910 that some many consider insignificant but I would like to see (once the unit is hacked).

If you're at all concerned with navi then I would definitely not get the Z110BT. The navi functionality and usefulness of this unit is a complete joke. Sure it's got a great screen and looks good, but what good is that if it gives you messed up directions or forces you to type in the exact spelling of any street name you input without eliminating the invalid options with the use of greyed out letters? Those shortcomings on top of your hatred of the nag screen completely rules out this unit for you, you would not be happy with it one bit so you should just move on.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=27969

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=27954

What other choice is there then? At the top end, there's the Z110BT, DNX9140 and AVC726E - all with significant shortcomings.

For me, it was a toss up between the Z110BT and DNX9140. The Z's better UI, VR and non-cartoony nav won, although I find the Z's multimedia capabilities to be severely lacking compared to the DNX9140 (low #folders/files, problems with media playback from SD/USB). Fortunately, that can be largely solved with using an iPod instead of an external HDD, although that's a bloody pricy option (160GB for ~$250, vs. a brand new 500GB Seagate Momentus 2.5" HDD you can pick up for ~$70AR).