AVIC411.com

Complete and Total Newbie at this

i just bought a F700 and like it but i really would like to change it some. Im not sure were to start with the new updates, i have read the treads and i guess im still confused, and the whole bypass thing, im nervous to try it

(im no electrician) so i guess im looking for some one who knows thier stuff and willing to help out a newbie like me.

The bypass is very simple provided you have the dexterity to move the mute wire into its new position and are adept at using a solder iron. If you feel incapable at either, you should probably not try meddling with the software either since you can brick your unit if you miss a step.

Really though, the hardware bypass is a no brainer. You use a pocket knife to gently pull the plastic tab back enough to pull the mute wire from its seat and then slide it into its new position on the harnass. Then solder that wire (mute, now really a bypass wire) and the parking brake together into the ground wire. Your unit is now bypassed.

I know where you are coming from, it was not that long ago that I was where you are. My suggestion is to do as much research as you can before attempting to mod your unit. There are a lot of friendly people here to help you out! Cheers, and good luck!

Before you do ANY software mods, backup your system. Basically EVERYTHING on flashdrive and call it stock backup.

If you are not running the latest version 3.01, then consider purchasing and applying that update. It is faster and almost all the mods posted here are for version 3. If you apply a ver 3 mod to a unit running ver 2, it will not work and it will be hard to recover if you do not have a backup of the files.

When you do apply a mod - remember to delete everything except for the favorites.dat file (if it exists) in the USER\USERDATA\IGO\SAVE This will delete all your user preference settings as they applied to your last build. If you have any settings in their that the new build (mod) does not understand, it will give you trouble. (as in not boot)

Follow all instructions very carefully. The better mods written by the more skilled, include directions. Avoid any other mod In my experience IDT / Boris / GPSSoftware all know what they are doing - there may be others but I personally have not tried their mods yet. Others may post other trusted mods

so do you think i could take it anywhere and have them do the bypass? i know its prolly illegal for any company to do it but if i payed them under the table i wonder if it would be possible

Illegal? I doubt there are any state or local laws concerning that so don't worry about that. It could be against a company policy though for them to solder up the bypass. If it is, go to the next audio shop and see if they will. SOMEONE will do it.. hell I'll do it for $40 if you bring it to me.

so do you think i could take it anywhere and have them do the bypass? i know its prolly illegal for any company to do it but if i payed them under the table i wonder if it would be possible

You will have to do it yourself, it is not that hard. If anybody else does it, then they are violating the safety features of the unit and they would be liable if you get into an accident because of the change. $40 is not worth the risk of a $100,000 lawsuit