AVIC411.com

Internal flash drive upgrade

Well with SSD drives falling in price (8GB for ~$60) I was wondering if there is a possibility to upgrade the internal flashdrive and ram ….who know ….just a thought

No, I thought of this when I first got the system as 2gb is too small, 4gb is perfect. Too me it looks like the flash is not interchangeable. It would be nice though

Does anyone have the schematics of the machine…I remember seen it one on site but don’t remember where I wonder if adding another circuit will resolve it or copying the existing one re partitioning it unsoldering it and replacing it with higher capacity module will work and the same to the flash ram will do I can be very handy with the iron if I have to…

Does anyone have the schematics of the machine…I remember seen it one on site but don’t remember where I wonder if adding another circuit will resolve it or copying the existing one re partitioning it unsoldering it and replacing it with higher capacity module will work and the same to the flash ram will do I can be very handy with the iron if I have to…

We have the schematics to the AV board and others via the Service Manual, but it doesn't have a schematic for the Navi board where the RAM and Flash ROM live. carver's done some work on hardware hacking on the NN746 Navi board (see this post and this thread (Upgrade NAND Flash from 2GB to 8GB?) to see some of his efforts).

One thing to note is even if you succeed in swapping out the flash module, the eboot/BIOS of the board is probably hard-coded to initialize the smaller part, and would also likely advertise a smaller size to the OS when it hands off the boot process to it. So you might need a firmware hack after the swap for things to work as expected.

There is a thread about this already the link is below.. carver has done some leg work even getting some larger chips in the same family and trying it. Problem is the nand on it. We would first have to get the nand to dump from the original chip then likely modify it to accept the larger chip. Getting the software AtlasMgr5 and the hardware to do so seems to be the trouble. Take a look at what has been found so far. I would love to help make this happen. I have put some posts and requests for the software out there in cyberspace but so far no replies.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23632