AVIC411.com

Hands Free Bluetooth poor sound quality

I've said this before, the noise heard on the BT calls is DEFINITELY interference picked up from the head unit itself.

You don't believe me? Well here's proof.

Make a call using your head unit. When someone picks up, hold down the "HOME" button until the screen goes off and ask the person on the line if the noise goes away.

Is it magic? No, it's a horrible energy radiation shielding design. The head unit needs to have better shielding from the outside world. Either the microphone, the cell phone, or both, are picking up interference from the head unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys...I've been monitoring this thread for quite a while...trolling may be a better description...anyway...I have a 2007 Porsche Cayman S...I installed the avic z120bt unit myself. I bought an adapter that allowed me to leverage the silly Bose, optical factory amp and speakers set up to boot...anyway, i tried a ton of install positions for the mic....the one that finally worked was on the turn signal stalk to the immediate left of my steering wheel. I'm guessing that the head unit lends itself to a certain level of interference...Cripes, I have 2 mics on order and have already purchased and installed a Blueant S4 (just in case). Anyway, like most of us, I was pissed that I spent close to $1K for a head unit that had tons of positive, "professional" reviews extolling the virtues of the BT capabilities of the unit...On a whim, I tried the turn signal stalk on the left side of the steering wheel...I had tried A pillars, Center mounts, under the seat mounts, you name it, I tried it...I'm guessing that the metal casing of the steering wheel hub blocks some of the interference between the head unit and the mic...keep in mind, the Cayman is a small car, so I don't have many install options...My wife can actually understand me know (admittedly, this may not be a good thing, :-))...anyway, short of a firmware update, I'd be interested to learn if my positioning lead to similar improvements for all of my "frustrated brothers" out there...

Hope this helps....the BT isn't perfect here, but it is usable.

I should also note that I'm not an electrical engineer...just an average Joe...so my assumptions about the causes and remedies to HU interference may be well off....I'm not jumping out of my shorts...but i'm happier than I was a few days ago...

• 6 months later...

Got a F10BT (so z110bt), and run into the same issues you all have with this interference noise... I was wondering if a shielded cable for the mic or an aditionnal module to remove those intereferences... ? Another guy having the same setup as I do (car/unit) does not have any of those unwanted sounds...

I've had my Z120BT in my 06 Toyota Tacoma Pre for about a year now. It was professionally installed and believe me the shop I used is top notch. The mic was installed (wired) thru my headliner and is clipped near the left side of my rear view mirror. I use an IPHONE 3gs and the Bluetooth phone calls are problematic for the people on the other end of the call, "very LOUD backround noise" or "you sound like you are calling from inside a garbage truck trash tank" I have done the update to 2.03 which Pioneer sent me on a SD Disk. No luck. My assessment is Pioneer is too cheap to buy the license from someone elses noise-cancelling board/software. Pioneer KNOWS there is a problem and THEY CAN'T fix it because they don't know a thing about bluetooth design with noise cnx.

I just heard of some consumer taking HONDA to small-claims court over their "optimistic" mileage claims on their Civic Hybrid. Maybe we should all flood the small-claims courts throughout the states and sue them for misrepresenting their "Flagship" Audio GPS units. A class-action would only make a few lawyers rich and the rest of use mght get 1% discount coupons for a new soon-to-be-improved Z140BT or whatever they have in the works.

Thanks Pioneer for the crap bluetooth. Its so bad I had to get rid of my Z120BT and buy a Alpine INA-W910 which obviously cost me thousands between the new unit and the loss on the old unit.

I talk lots to clients on the highway in my Full Size Pickup and it sounds like i'm in a hurricane to other party. Changed the mic, tried the home trick above etc updted firmware to latest Z130 version and it still sucks. Its fine when stopped but as soon as i get moving the other party complains, and highway speeds its almost un-usable. Sure my Toyota truck is loud inside but some simple noise cancelling is all it takes. Why can everybody else get it right except Pioneer? In their "Flagship" unit no less.

The bluetooth in the Alpine is great by the way and the rest of the features are on par with the pioneer. The interface is not as sharp and snazzy but I quickly learned the more basic interface is much easier to use in real world (ie while driving).

/ Pissed customer.