AVIC411.com

Switches to Ipod when turned on???

That may mean there is a defect with the dock port on the ipod. That is the same thing that happens if I plug my ipod in after the unit is turned on. The dock port on the ipod may be engaging after the unit provides charge to it. If that is the case, its not normal and may be an impending problem with the ipod.

It doesn't happen every time though, probably 10-20% of the time. Also gone through about 5 Pioneer nav systems with the same ipod and none of them did this so I am fairly certain its not the ipod. Drives me nuts though having to go all the way back to the source menu to go back to what I was listening to when I turned the car off. Weird

the only time Ive seen the unit automatically jump source to Ipod is when I connected the ipod while the unit was on.... it went from being in an "No ipod connected" state to an "Ipod Connected"....

so my thought was that if the ipod battery is dead, then everytime it completely loses charge while the car is off it will make the unit think there is no ipod connected....so when the car is turned on and the ipod gets juice, its like it is getting reconnected which automatically switches the source to ipod.

Hopefully i am wrong and all you need is a reboot of your ipod :)

• 2 months later...

Mine does this as well. Only about 10% of the time. Never thought about the ipod battery though. Mine stays plugged in all the time too. And I actually had a ipod battery problem where it drained so low, I had to do a hard reset. I bet that is the problem. I thought I had a bad head unit.

Just curious, have you noticed it happen when your car has been sitting for a certain amount of time? Or do you have sirius or xm hooked up? or both? Mine still does it. I've tried restoring the ipod and everything and pretty much given up. The local Pioneer sales manager and his trainer both have the same problem but say their tech support refuses to admit the problem because they can't duplicate it. Just wondering what combination of products are needed for them to make this happen

Mine does this as well. Only about 10% of the time. Never thought about the ipod battery though. Mine stays plugged in all the time too. And I actually had a ipod battery problem where it drained so low, I had to do a hard reset. I bet that is the problem. I thought I had a bad head unit.

This just happened to me for the first time a couple days ago.... it was on XM for a few minutes then *poof* there it is on 'IPOD'..... my wife is the primary driver, so it may have happened a few other times before.

I have a 160gb Ipod plugged in full time to the HU... its brand new and bought specifically for this purpose. The battery is fresh and fully charged, so its definitely not a battery problem, although I have had times where the Ipod just isnt recognized at all while driving, and I have had to unplug the unit, and even had to reboot the unit to get it to recognize the ipod again.....

its very intermittent (less than 5% of the time) but it is VERY annoying. I think its time that this gets investigated by Pioneer....

I agree... Time for an update...

I've had both, in which, it boots into IPod source when it was previously set to something else... As well as i booting and the IPod not being recognized until I reboot the unit...

I think in general, this unit doesn't have a solid boot routine... There is also the issue with BT and VR failing if you don't hit the nag screen OK button...

It's very few and far between these hiccups.... But enough to be aggravating...

IPod Touch 64GB -latest firmware

IPhone 3GS 16GB -latest firmware -JailBroken

I only use my IPhone for handsfree... Never plug it in to listen to music... The IPod stays plugged in...

I will hunt around to see if I can borrow a normal Ipod.... Although nobody comes to mind at the moment...

I am thinking this is an issue with a delayed start time for the iPod. Either from the battery or from the storage disk access time. If the iPod is having some sort of delayed start time, it will act as if there is no device connected to the unit. Once the iPod starts, the unit thinks it has beed plugged in.

Do any of you live in a cold environment? I have an F-series and have been having the same problem but only now that it is cold. The problem is the iPod doesn't like to function properly in cold weather; so once it warms up..maybe a few minutes or so into your drive it decides to turn on and the Pioneer unit automatically switches over to the iPod source because it believes you just plugged the iPod in. The only solution I have found is to 1) deal with it until it warms back up, or 2) take your iPod inside every time so it is warm when you start your car. Hope that helps.