AVIC411.com

Best "cheap" back up camera you used

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Audiovox mentioned above. It works very well. Not the best image in the world at night, but it does the job. It came with two different mounts. I used the regular mount and it fit perfectly over one of the two plate lights on my Touareg. Looks almost factory!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for you guys that have backup cameras with you F series, do you have to wait for the unit to fully boot before it will display the back up video?

I am just curious because when I have my 16gb SD card in my F700 and try to boot with the SD card set as the audio source, it takes a really long time to boot fully. If I had to wait for it to finish booting before being able to take advantage of a backup camera, it almost seems like it would be a waste of time.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? I wasn't sure if the unit could display video before fully booting or if the backup video source had some kind of hardware interface to the stereo's screen that could bypass the software (sorta like how the radio or satellite radio starts playing way before the unit has finished booting).

I bought and installed a Panasonic CY-RC50KU backup camera on our Mazda5 and have been quite happy with the quality and performance. It's the least expensive "name-brand" CCD camera I could find. Not cheap at $100 + shipping on eBay, but it's certainly better than the Pioneer units!