AVIC411.com

Can't change settings or input a destination

Ever since the time change on Nov. 1st, I have been unable to input a destination or edit the settings of my Navigation. I can still change radio stations, look at the map, and see POI, but I cannot enter an address and the first two sections of the settings menu are greyed out even when at a stand still. Any ideasa?

• 2 weeks later...

I called the guy that installed my AVIC and he says that he hooked the parking brake wire up to a resistor or something like that. I told him the problems I was having and he says that it can't be the wire and that its a software issue. I purchased and installed the 3.0 Firmware and I still have the same issue. This tells me that it is not in fact a software issue. I cannot watch video or change my GPS settings or input an address to the GPS at all even while completely stopped with the E-Brake on! I have even done the software mod by changing the parking brake speed in the configure.ini file. Anyone else have any ideas?

I called the guy that installed my AVIC and he says that he hooked the parking brake wire up to a resistor or something like that. I told him the problems I was having and he says that it can't be the wire and that its a software issue. I purchased and installed the 3.0 Firmware and I still have the same issue. This tells me that it is not in fact a software issue. I cannot watch video or change my GPS settings or input an address to the GPS at all even while completely stopped with the E-Brake on! I have even done the software mod by changing the parking brake speed in the configure.ini file. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yes.. something is wrong with the parking brake lead off the AVIC.

Most likely? it's no longer connected to anything or has a break in it.

Even the software bypass requires the parking brake wire be grounded, and from your description it isn't.

Thanks for your reply. That is what I told the installer and he replied back to me that he knows for a fact that the parking brake wire is grounded because if it was not then the radio wouldn't even work.

Also, what would have caused this to happen? It was working for about a month then all of a sudden it just stopped working?

Thanks for your reply. That is what I told the installer and he replied back to me that he knows for a fact that the parking brake wire is grounded because if it was not then the radio wouldn't even work.

That statement is 100% wrong, just to repeat, he's 100% wrong.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what would happen if you had the parking brake wire were not connected to anything.

What he's trying to say is that if the GROUND is disconnected the unit shouldn't work, but I don't know if that error is him being wrong, or misunderstanding something, or it losing something in the translation from him, to you, to the board. :)

That statement is 100% wrong, just to repeat, he's 100% wrong.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what would happen if you had the parking brake wire were not connected to anything.

What he's trying to say is that if the GROUND is disconnected the unit shouldn't work, but I don't know if that error is him being wrong, or misunderstanding something, or it losing something in the translation from him, to you, to the board. :)

dianebrat is right, tell your installer to recheck the install

In order to watch video on the unit while in motion the bypass has to be done. What your installer told you is not per the bypass instructions on this site and he is full of crap by saying the unit will not work if the wire is not connected. It will work it just wont let you watch video or input nav data. The bottom line is, it doesn't matter that it worked at first but now doesn't. The fact is, it doesn't work now. If he tried to bypass the unit with some other method other then what is on this site then you could have a situation where the unit finally calibrated itself and now knows it is not wired correctly. Do not listen to the installer any longer if he is not going to go by the advise you get from here. There is only one way to bypass the unit correctly and that is detailed on this site. Read up on the bypass instructions on this site and do exactly what it says and your problem will certainly be solved.