AVIC411.com

Z110 Opinions

You can press an onscreen button to switch between alphabetical and closest first, but by default it does not show closest first.

I like the unit, there are a few things I would like to see such as the option to find a POI along the route. I would like to be able to "reverse" the way contacts are shown, mine show up as Lastname,Firstname and I would like the option to change it like in my FHP-800BT.

It would be nice if the keyboard keys would "grey out" when typing if the next letter won't result in a result but that is a minor issue.

The RDS is annoying as it only displays 8 characters at a time and sort of scrolls through the entire message, this is a programming issue that could be resolved by the programmers.

MSN direct will be discontinued in 2012 so hopefully there will be a replacement service that can be implemented with a firmware update and some new hardware (this does not affect me however as there is no traffic service at all here)

The unit sometimes does not recognise the voice command "call" even though the phone is connected and ready to go, this may be my particular phone though and not the AVIC. I can fix it by either re-booting the AVIC or my phone, either way gets it going again.

This is the review I spoke about....

- no support for cd changers but many feel that because of usb drives and ipods, changers are legacy...whatever!

- touch screen has a sweet spot that is small and off-center so it's easy to make the wrong selection and have to waste time on a redo...

- no IR functionality which means wireless remotes cannot be used and this unit really needs one...

- xm works great BUT xm traffic is not supported, only msn direct...

- no exterior mute button....

- installing the hd radio module disables regular am/fm functionality...

- route guidance has no introductory statement to start your route, you just start driving and eventually it begins giving directions...

- route guidance audio does not identify by exit number, street or exit name, just take next and you must look at screen for what next is...

- last unit i had gave me my vehicle speed as well as the current posted speed limit, this unit gives neither...

- adding a route is real work. to start a route you must type each and every complete word exactly, it does not help you complete words with suggested common choices nor is it flexible when searching...

- when recalculating a route, it says nothing and starts the process very slowly

- there is a search by address voice function, but it's slow and awkward, using it is a real struggle...

- no voice commands for basics such as "go home", "cancel route", etc. so you must touch screen through several menu layers for them...

POI TRULY SUCKS...

- POI appears to first search alphabetically and then by proximity instead of the other way around or some other strange way, i'm really not sure what it's doing but i am sure it needs to be doing something different...???

example: when i select POI> ATM> it gives me pages and pages of Bank of America locations beginning with the closest at say .02 miles and one after another extending out to about 40 miles until it reaches some internal limit. i can be parked in a Washington Mutual parking lot staring directly at their building from 50 feet away and this unit's POI> Banks> will not find it and all of the other POI menu choices seem to follow this same goofy search method. the only way i have found to locate a POI (other than Bank of America) is to type it or use the voice command "find the nearest" and even then the results are questionable at best. for example it comes back with nothing when asking for nearest in-and-out burger or 7/11 store, go figure...??? another example would be i ask it for the nearest kragen auto parts store when i was +/- 100 feet from a location that had been there at least 15 years and this unit did not list it and gave me one 4.5 miles away as being the nearest to my present position..???

actually the POI function on my wife's $130 portable navigation unit works much, much better than this one...

The unit sometimes does not recognise the voice command "call" even though the phone is connected and ready to go.

You can remedy that by hitting the "OK" button for the nav screen before the BT connects.

I am generally connected to the BT before I even get into the car (remote start) but I will try that a few times and see what the results are. It only happens 1 in 10 times (or less) that I get into the car.

- touch screen has a sweet spot that is small and off-center so it's easy to make the wrong selection and have to waste time on a redo...

You can reclibrate the screen to remedy this. I dont have this problem with my unit.

- no exterior mute button....

WRONG!!! Hold the Voice Activation button for 2 seconds.

- route guidance audio does not identify by exit number, street or exit name, just take next and you must look at screen for what next is...

WRONG!!! Change your voice to TTS Samantha.

- To start a route you must type each and every complete word exactly, it does not help you complete words with suggested common choices nor is it flexible when searching...

WRONG again, it will allow you to put in partial words to search for Cities, streets, or POI's.

The review that you posted in the purple font seems like the person really didnt know how to use their unit. most of the things they mentioned are either settings that can be changed or functions of all nav systems (it is almost impossible to find a nav that has a CD changer available for it these days)

i would not take that person's feedback to heart.

Hey everyone,

Being a huge pioneer fan i had 4 or 5 normal decks and 3 Double dinn units before i headed to the Z section. I started out with the N2 then the D3 then the F90bt. After owning the first 2 i listed I eagerly purchased the 90bt. Seing how long it was continuously being pushed back i figured it must be a good unit. Boy was i ever wrong It was nothing like the previous 2 units i had. I ended up getting so fed up with it and went over to the Alpine w505 with the additional blackbird 2 nav unit and later the cheaper version the nve-p1. Well that unit meh just didnt cut it but it was better then the pioneer. I was watching the reviews and feedback on the z110 unitsand being shakey if i wanted another pioneer unit I AM MORE THEN GLAD I CHOSE THIS UNIT. Being one of the higher priced units so be it the menus the navigation everything seems mazing about this deck. Ive had it installed for about 2 days with the bypass. The Ipod control what can i say so simple easy to use and you dont have to go through the menus to change the song. For the steering wheel controller i cannot put any input on it just yet i am still awaiting its arrival in the mail. The only thing i still have to figure out is when i am making a phone call the music dimms down instead of shutting off. It goes down to a suitable level but id rather it shut off completely

The only thing i still have to figure out is when i am making a phone call the music dimms down instead of shutting off. It goes down to a suitable level but id rather it shut off completely

SETTINGS, AV SETTINGS, MUTE LEVEL, set to ALL.

I was actually just reading the manual

thanks though i appreciate the help

The guy who typed that review was a complete jackass. He didn't know how to use the unit and even when people came to tell him how the unit does the things that he said it did not, it was clear he had never owned the unit. We even pointed to videos of the unit doing things he said it does not do and he still bitched that it "doesn't do it".

The guy who typed that review was a complete jackass. He didn't know how to use the unit and even when people came to tell him how the unit does the things that he said it did not, it was clear he had never owned the unit. We even pointed to videos of the unit doing things he said it does not do and he still bitched that it "doesn't do it".

Must be competition trying to move people away. Thank god i read this post. I bought Z110bt today from ebay for $1000 and after reading same post was ready to sell even before it comes to my hand.

Now i'm confident that i made right choice and can't wait to install in my car.