AVIC411.com

Things to ask the installer to do!?

Hello!

Reading Dr.Rob's thread, viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29023, there are a few things that one should probably ask their installer to do, so you don't have any haggling or problems later. I don't know the proper way to really ask that they do this without sounding condesending. Maybe we a formal looking sheet should be made up?

So far I have:

1) Connect Speed Pulse/VSS Wire

2) Connect the reverse wire even if you do not connect a camera. The GPS uses it to maintain better accuracy.

3) Video Parking Brake By-Pass

Please add to this and share! Thank you.

Just an F.Y.I. about your "things to do" list.

#3 - Video Parking Brake By-Pass

I don't know about other installers and other states, but I won't do it to a customers car. It's illegal in most states for video to be displayed in the front of the car. I am not going to be held responsible for the idiot driving. If they get into an accident and a video was playing, the INSTALLER can be held responsible, not worth the time, money, job, and frustration.

Let me clarify in detail. The answer is yes but slightly limited with out the bypass. Phone functions are not affected but VR for map directions are limited. You can get directions for address and certain POI with VR. If you need to plot more then one address, the second address will need to be entered on the screen as a waypoint. Also certain POI's can not be found by speaking the name with VR. All of these limitations can be achieved on the touch screen while in motion if you have the unit bypassed. Do the bypass and be worry free.

• 2 months later...

Ok, just got the car back today with the Avic -Z100bt installed. So far, I really like it.

There are a few things that I may have the installer take a look at again.

-My right speaker is making a strange whistling/hissing sound.

-The steering wheel interface: All the buttons are programmed to my liking except the VR button. He programmed that button as MUTE/ATT instead. I would do it myself, but I'm afraid I might mess it up.

- VSS wire - How do I know if he actually installed this. There was a pink wire in my box that wasn't used... Is that it?

Thanks.

What is it with these half a**ed installers, some of which post to this board. If you don't take the time to hook up the vss or reverse wire then you suck as an installer, no other excuse can be made. It is just as simple as can be to find a source wire on most cars.

OP: When driving the car observe the readout on the gps diagnsotic screen in the gps settings. It will generally increase as you go faster. Keep in mind that this is voltage and not actual speed. Next put the car in reverse and see if the diag screen shows reverse on. Also check illumination on that same screen. If any of these don't show any change on the diag screen, take your car back and demand they do the right thing.