AVIC411.com

Navigation Help with 2005 Dodge Ram

I know almost nothing about navigation systems, but my employer is willing to pay for one for my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD. It currently has the existing factory AM/FM/CD head unit.

I'd sure appreciate some help with these questions.

1. Which is better, the factory in-dash navigation system or an aftermarket? I want it to look clean and like it belongs.

2. Are there 2 kinds of factory systems? RB1 and RB4? Which is better?

3. I saw a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Would that fit in my truck?

4. What is "double DIN"? I don't think I have that.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks for your time.

Well, first off, the factory navigation system is both expensive and a pain in the cojones to get all the parts for. The AVIC-Z1 is a great unit and, if installed properly, will look great in your dash, but you need to get the dash trim bezel that comes with the factory nav unit to make it look good. Din stands for Deutche Institut Normung, which is a standard used for most aftermarket radios and many factory head units have adopted the size. Double-din means the dash opening will accomodate 2 din-sized units stacked on top of one another. The Z1 is a double-din sized unit. The Z1 will probably be much more cost-effective and also will have more usable features, especially if this is a work truck, such as Bluetooth connection and back-up camera interfaces.

I know almost nothing about navigation systems, but my employer is willing to pay for one for my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD. It currently has the existing factory AM/FM/CD head unit.

I'd sure appreciate some help with these questions.

1. Which is better, the factory in-dash navigation system or an aftermarket? I want it to look clean and like it belongs.

2. Are there 2 kinds of factory systems? RB1 and RB4? Which is better?

3. I saw a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Would that fit in my truck?

4. What is "double DIN"? I don't think I have that.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks for your time.

I like the aftermarket because you can change it, modufy it, connect amps to it, ipods, video, etc... the stock nav is limited. Also, it only plays Sirius, I wanted XM.

To get it in a 05 RAM, much cutting is required behind the center bezel. The bezel itself needs to be custom trimmed and fiberglassed, then painted. Its a lot of work. I paid a local place to do it - over my head. But the results are great - clean factory look. I painted the bezel silver to match the exterior, so it looks cool, in my opinion.

So ask around some local shops about pricing to get the custom work done.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Try dodgeparts.com. I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 that I put a Z1 in and all I had to order was the Navigation dash bezel for mine (around $85.00) and the Metra double din kit and it fit perfect with no modification af any parts. You should be able to get a Navigation dash bezel for the 2005 models as long as they offered Navigation in the 2005 models. And then just contact Metra and talk to one of their techs and they will tell you what kit to get.