AVIC411.com

Help! Can't get iPod to connect to F90BT

Bought a used and supposedly working F90bt on eBay a couple of weeks ago and but the transaction is currently is currently in dispute because it was packaged poorly and slightly scratched (that's another story), it was missing the iPod cable, speed sensor wire and reverse wire, as well as the v3 update SD cards that the auction was supposed to include.

Anyway, since I might be stuck with this unit I've been trying to benchtest it this evening. Everything checked out fine so far but I bought an Apple Composite AV cable today to check the iPod functionality which is really important to us. I've connected the yellow lead to the yellow video input lead and the White and red connectors to the audio input leads, the USB plug into the USB cable and set AV1 in settings to iPod, but I'm not getting it recognized by the F90BT when I plug in an iPod (3rd and 4th gen) nano or my 3GS iPhone.

I'd love another reason to be able to send this back but I also want to figure out what the problem might be in case I'm stuck with it.

Any ideas?

To SeeBee63

There is a known problem with USB cable coming unpluged on the inside of the unit. It happened to mine. And if read on this forum you will read others that have had the same problem. Remove you unit. Remove the cover case and plug the USB cable back in. Give that a try or return your unit. It was Joans (my wife) F900BT but is the same unit.

post-37027-12872760615624_thumb.jpg

To SeeBee63

There is a known problem with USB cable coming unpluged on the inside of the unit. It happened to mine. And if read on this forum you will read others that have had the same problem. Remove you unit. Remove the cover case and plug the USB cable back in. Give that a try or return your unit. It was Joans (my wife) F900BT but is the same unit.

Yeah, I saw some posts about that last night and I checked it out myself (see Follow up 2 above), with no luck. :x

BTW, I really hope I can return it for a refund... I emailed the seller before bidding, since his auction stated "no returns". He assured me it was in perfect operating condition with no scratches, would be packaged properly, all wire leads and harnesses included, v3 installed and the SD update cards included.

When I received it and opened the box (not the original one) which was 6" too large in all six directions, it was just sitting loosely on top of two pieces of styrofoam and two of those packing airbags that have the air chambers in them like little air mattresses. Nothing holding it firmly in place and nothing wrapped around it. The RCA harness, the power/speaker harness, the GPS antenna and the Bluetooth harnesses leads were also just rolling around in this box with the unit. By the look of the dings on the inside of the box it looked like it flopped around quite a bit on it's 900 mile journey from Illinois to Toronto. Upon taking inventory I found it was missing the iPod cable, the reverse sensor lead, the VSS lead and the v3 software update SD cards. Due to the bad packing, the front of the unit is now scratched and nicked in various places, and as is obvious from this thread, the iPod connectivity does not work with this unit.

Upon contacting the seller, he said everything was in there and it was packaged up properly when he sent it. He thinks US Customs opened it and stole the missing items out of it and removed all of the packaging materials he had used when he packed it up. He thinks this because he's "also in law enforcement". :roll:

Yeah, right! US Customs took three virtually useless (to them) cables and software update cards, removed packing materials from the box, but left the $500 nav unit!?!? :roll:

He also thinks I should be making a claim to USPS for these problems, but I repeatedly told him that only the shipper/seller can initiate the claim. In our communications with eBay the guy has even tried to say that I'm trying to scam him out of more money! I don't want more money –– I just want a F90BT that works!

This guy is an idiot and I really hope that the eBay/PayPal resolution office doesn't side with him, but I've heard of them messing up obvious claims before.

Sorry for the rant but I have over 10 years buying and selling on eBay with perfect 100% feedback whereas this douchebag I'm dealing with is less than perfect and even had a negative feedback yesterday stating "Misleading product description" from a buyer. I'd post his eBay username if I thought it wouldn't cause any problems... maybe I will once this issue is settled. :lol:

That is why when purchasing anything, I always purchase new and deal with ebay retailers, not jim bob that has a great deal! If jim bob has it and does not want it, then there is a reason! Please post his ebay name! I would!

That is why when purchasing anything, I always purchase new and deal with ebay retailers, not jim bob that has a great deal! If jim bob has it and does not want it, then there is a reason! Please post his ebay name! I would!

HEY! I'm a jim-bob myself and after 10 years I've never had a problem with a sale or a purchase... until now.

Regardless... made my mistake of trusting a seller with less than perfect feedback... won't make THAT again.

HEY! I'm a jim-bob myself and after 10 years I've never had a problem with a sale or a purchase... until now.

Regardless... made my mistake of trusting a seller with less than perfect feedback... won't make THAT again.

Even perfect feedback can burn you. Example, one ebayer got his feedback at 100% by buying 30-50 items valued at $1-$4. He now had a perfect feedback score of 50 items. He then went and listed a new cell phone which was just released at a low price of $300 (original retail was $599). He sold 46 items at a buy it now price of $299 + shipping and then vanished with close to $15,000 after 3 days with a total investment of $200 to get his feedback. This happened 3 years ago and I was one of his victims. PayPal eventually caught up with him and I got my money back , but this was after 6 months and I was very lucky. I now ONLY purchase electronics from legitimate ebay retailers which can still save you hundreds of dollars. It is too easy for a jim bob to get a P.O.S. electronic unit from a depot that sells refurbs for cheap and then resell it on ebay for hundreds more than what he paid for it, only YOU get stuck with a P.O.S unit that does not work properly and his defense is "it worked fine when it left here". I avoid these headaches by dealing strictly with retailers.

Again, you should post his name here so that we would know who he is. The reason that he told you he is law enforcement is so that you will build trust and accept his P.O.S. that he sold you. HE IS NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT!. I would like to know his name just so that I can rattle his cage a bit. I am good at that and I have NO RESPECT for ebay crooks

Even perfect feedback can burn you.

I agree completely, but you can tell a bit about the seller by looking at how long they've been on eBay, whether the buy and sell from the account and what some of the positive and negative feedback comments are.

Foolishly I didn't look close enough and missed some of these "gems" from previous transactions this guy was the seller in...

"Misleading product description."

"starts good...ends with a nasty attitude...bad at describing things"

"Horrible packing. Router was shipped in a paper bag. no padding. nothing." -- This sounds like the package I received! ACK!

"Ad says they are flawless they are not seller said thats to bad - ebayer dont"

"Guy deliberately sold damaged subs, no time to get info for paypal refund, CROOK"

Again, you should post his name here so that we would know who he is. The reason that he told you he is law enforcement is so that you will build trust and accept his P.O.S. that he sold you. HE IS NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT!. I would like to know his name just so that I can rattle his cage a bit. I am good at that and I have NO RESPECT for ebay crooks

Actually he is in law enforcement, although only in an auxiliary unit from what I can find on the internet from a basic search. I'll gladly post his eBay name once eBay/PayPal resolves this.

• 3 weeks later...

The scammer's eBay name is: army685

AND he just relisted and sold the same damaged unit I just returned with the non-functioning iPod control:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0516862503

This time he has a picture of the unit with the 3.0 SD update cards which he didn't ship to me and said were stolen by US Customs, and he's saying the iPod cable is included in this auction but it was also something he alleged was stolen by US Customs. AND to top it off, the picture is showing what looks like a USB to 3.5mm audio jack –– not the proper iPod cable the F90BT shipped with. I wish there was some way to get in touch with the buyer of this item to warn him.

This scum-bag seller needs to be removed from eBay! :evil: