AVIC411.com

Just got back from CES new firmware

I am assuming that would require a different interface cable for each car. The accelerometer makes this completely unnecessary. In case you didn't know, there are a couple of app store apps for the iPhone that use this technology and from what I understand, they are spot on.

Maybe they make us buy a 'map upgrade' that includes a firmware upgrade? They have pulled this in the past with the N-series.

Better not ruin any by-passes!

It is likely that it will be combined with a map upgrade. Im sure it wont affect the bypass.

so is it worth to buy the z110 right now? i just sold my z3 cause i wanted an upgrade, and have found a few z110s for sale... or would the 920 be a better buy?

From what I am reading, and from the video posted on the pioneer site it looks like the z110 is still the king. Based off their projected $999 MSRP, highly unlikley it trumps the z110bt. Guess we won't know for a few months.

I am assuming that would require a different interface cable for each car. The accelerometer makes this completely unnecessary. In case you didn't know, there are a couple of app store apps for the iPhone that use this technology and from what I understand, they are spot on.

OBD2 has been mandatory for all cars sold in the United States since 1996. The connection is the same for all cars. I have a small device called a Scan Gage, and it not only reads and resets codes, but will give MPG, instant, average for trip, tank, or day, RPM, speed, and much more. And it will work in any vehicle. This would be very simple to implement in a head unit that already is a small PC, they just need to write an app. I seriously think I will be going the car PC route, as the options are limitless.

You say these apps are spot on, with what? They can't possibly know your MPG, unless you give them information about what your car gets for mileage, and they use that information to "calibrate" themselves.

If someone figures out hot to piggy-back off the OBDII data that would be sweet!

I don't think Pioneer wants to mess with it though.

I don't mean to be hijacking this thread, but, what do you mean "if someone figures out how to piggy-back"? You just plug into the plug that is under the drivers side of the vehicle. People, this system is made to give you all of your vehicles information real time, and it works with ALL VEHICLES!!! It just amazes me that nobody incorporates it. At the worst you might have a cable you will have to tie up out of the way under the dash.

Sorry But if plug into the OBD II data port and change some thing, you could mess up the ECM or PCM ( ENGINE CONTROL MODULE or POWER CONTROL MODULE ) In some cases it controls your transmission (Automatic only ) Then you would have to have it reflashed. Or if you short it out you would have to replace it. They run sometimes up too and over a THOUSAND DOLLARS. I know I sell them to people all the time who mess with things they should not. I do not think Pionner would want to pay for that. I charge $70. just to flash your ECM and if you have an import you might have to take it to the Dealer and they will charge you big buck's ! So be careful if you mess with your ECM. :D P.S. Flash software only works on a PC not a MAC.

None of this is new GM has had driver infomation center for years. Plus don't foget your ECM can have Pass-Lock I or pass Lock II. If you mess that up you would need to do the relearn so your car will start. this takes someone that knows what they are doing. Not the average Joe. Thanks for that address but I'll stay with my AVIC as my chevy already has as a factory option. If you have a lower end car the Garmin is a good way to go.

2005 Chevy with every option 8)

post-37027-1287276090212_thumb.jpg