AVIC411.com

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I have a question. I've had my Z1 for about a couple of months and it doesn't seem to be learning my routes. We have a weekend home about 100 miles from our regular home and I've made the trip with the AVIC about 6 times now and it hasn't learned the route. I have the weekend house set as one of my destinations. When I want to go up to the house, it never routes the way I always go. In fact, even when I look under "multiple routes," our regular route is never even listed as an option. I've tried changing the setting from "fast" to "main road" to "short," but that doesn't make any difference. I'm sure I'm not doing something right, but I'm at a loss. I thought after traveling the route 12 time (6 time each way), it would be suggesting that route as a first choice. What am I doing wrong?

• 3 months later...

*Bump*

I have the same issue. It seems my Z1 is not "learning." Does anyone know how to check? When I go into hardware and 3D Calibration status, my total miles is only about 2K. I've had this unit installed for almost 10K. I'm wondering if something is reseting automatically?

Are you actually setting a route each time? If you don't set a route it's not going to learn anything. Yes the mileage readout will reset by itself after a certain point. It doesn't change the learning status though. Think of it as the same thing that happens when your trip meter goes from 999.9 miles to 1000. The readout goes back to all 0.

That's a good point cntrylvr. I have set a large number of routes throughout the city, then drove "my" way. I have a few roads I always take and it seems it never wants to use them when calculating routes.

Maybe I havn't set the route often enough. I will make it a point to set my route everytime I go home from work; see if that helps.

Thanks cntrylvr79; I'll give it a try..

• 2 months later...

I have yet to see the Z2 learn yet either. When the default route comes up, I always have to select route 2 or 3 which is closer to the one I drive. However when I drive it the next day it does not show up as a route, I have to select route 2 or 3 again.

I thought that after 1 or 2 times that it would start listing YOUR route as the #2 or #1 route.

dkardell: Just a guess here. Though i've not even had the opportunity to understand how the route learning works yet (so someone here might have a more definitive answer), it would seem to me perhaps when you select route 2 (or 3) and then drive and lessons learned would be for THAT route the system finds.

Perhaps if you leave it on route 1 and drive as you know best - it will learn that as the default to present. Maybe it doesn't learn that selecting an alternate enough times should make it the primary. Like I said, guesswork... As to how long it takes to learn a new route, from marketing materials I recall it should take a few instances for it to learn. The one off "grocery stop" shouldn't teach it... Would hope within ~5 repeats it would click. Gonna test my theory over next few days in lieu of a manual...

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has now been 3 months and it has YET to learn a single route that I take. The system still uses what it thinks is the best route even though I have used another road over 30 times now.

the Z2 does not LEARN from your habbits and should be removed from the FEATURE LIST

yep I've had the same luck with my Z2 after nearly 15 trips the same way each time, and it's about 16 mile trip. This is what the "knowledge"base says:

The route learning capability of the AVIC-Z1 does not seem to work.

After driving route serval times, navigation system does not learn my route.

Route learning is not applicable for long distances.

The average route learning distance 12.5 mile.

The system cannot learn routes driven occasionally. The route must be repeated 5-10 times.

it probably works in a few lab/simulation situations but doesn't seem to be road-tested very well.