AVIC411.com

P20 HD Tuner + MSN Direct = Need Splitter?

So I'm debating getting the P20 HD Tuner for my Z110 (installing it this weekend). But I'm reading up on things and it sounds like I might need a splitter if I also have MSN Direct connected (which I will).

Or will I be fine with the HD tuner and MSN together, as long I just tune into any AM/FM stations via the HD tuner?

Ok, thanks. It wasn't very clear to me. Do you have the HD tuner? Is it worth getting? I'm fine with the whole no preset channel name issue, but is the sound quality that much more noticeable? I'd really only use it in the morning for sports talk radio and maybe a few FM station now and then.

So just ordered this unit .. hopefully HD radio in LA is worth it.

Anyway, just want to confirm that I won't need this splitter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E ... _sim_01_01

Is the point of using a splitter so that the FM & AM buttons aren't "grayed" out and you can still control them directly vs. having to indirectly access them via the "HD Radio" section? I've been reading up for days on this and none of it seems very clear.

• 3 weeks later...

So just did my install tonight, and the antenna does not seem to be working properly with the HD. The installer wasn't quite sure why, I'm gonna bring it back next weekend. He thought maybe the antenna wasn't connected properly? Some stations come in, not a lot, and it clearly doesn't seem to be picking up any HD signals (as shown in the HD Radio video that someone posted on here, it isn't doing any of that moving from analog to digital or vice versa).

Anyway, that got me thinking to this thread and what I'd read, and are we 100% positive that I won't need a splitter to get it all working correctly?

Thanks.

BTW, unit is pretty tight. What's maybe most impressive is how quick the audio is to play when you switch source. Going from iPod to CD is as quick is turning a radio dial. Even quicker actually. :)

According to the manuals for the MSN tuner and HD tuner, both require the tuners to receive an input from the car antenna, which they would then route into the Pio HU. Based on this, I would think I need a splitter from the car antenna to connect to the MSN tuner and the HD tuner.

Pretty sure the HD settings are all set, but I'll check tomorrow morning. I would def. get HD signals as I live in LA.

What he said, and what I said before. You don't need a splitter because there is no reason for the actual head unit to receive an antenna signal because it wont use it anyway. In and out of the MSN box into the HD20, thats it.

The AM/FM in your head unit will be greyed out....you will get them through the HD source on your deck

The MSN tuner has an "in" and an "out" connector for the antenna leads, no need for a splitter.....