AVIC411.com

Advantages of Z110BT over AVIC-Z1/Z2/Z3?

I hadn't visited this site for several months until a couple of weeks ago; I saw that there's a brand new, shiny and flashy replacement for the trusted Z1-Z3 models, so I started looking into perhaps replacing the one I have.

However, the more I read about it, the less inclined I am to buying it.

Let me see if I get this straight . . .

* The Z110BT no longer has a HDD, so I don't have the option to increase size or speed there (which I've done on the Z1 converted to Z3 that I have); instead, there is the option to insert an SD card. I'm not too impressed with that . . .

* It's a crapshoot as to whether whatever files you place on that SD card will play or not in the unit

* The unit has no in-route POI notifications

* The MSN Direct Traffic feature is going away, and there is no connector for the special cable used to make Navtraffic work

On the other hand, it has built in BlueTooth, XM/Sirius tuners, USB and only requires a cable for connecting to an iPod (for those who have them).

HOWEVER--I already have a Bluetooth module, external XM module, iPod module and an as yet uninstalled USB module, so none of those built in features are compelling to me.

Based on what I am seeing, it would appear that if I were to "upgrade" to this new model, I would in fact be "downgrading", and can't see any reason whatsoever to spent $900+ on this thing.

Am I missing something here . . . ?

Yea your missing a lot. There is no need for HDD any longer as the software is installed on an internal flash drive which is far more stable on a mobile device. There is no need for music storage as the iPod is now becoming the preferred music storage/player for most people in there cars. You can also use bigger SD cards then any hack/storage upgrade that could be done with the previous Z.

The SD card plays music just fine and also will accommodate video at the proper resolution. It is also used for adding custom POI. Try that with the previous Z.

There is no in route POI search feature and that does suck. However until that changes there are workarounds that still allow the unit to be used for its purpose.

MSN Direct is far better then the previous NavTraffic feature and is still valid for another two years. Whatever Pioneer chooses to replace MSN Direct when the time comes will also likely be far superior to NavTraffic as well.

The Z110BT also accommodates all of the sat radio tuners you will use with the previous Z so you don't have to worry there. It does not have built in sat tuners. The BT is also far better and handles newer phones that the previous Z's BT will not fully support.

Lastly, its all up to you. If the improvements with the 110 don't do anything for you, then you should probably keep what you have.

-It's lightening fast to use...

-Looks much better...

-customizable button color...

-The voice command(VR) is nearly perfect...(old Z really sucked, and very slow)

-IPod integration is rock solid

-I hated the HDD and GraceNotes updates, which is dumb, as most of the CD's I buy, are relatively new releases, So no album info

-The early Z's were noisy to run as well

-you can actually adjust the BT volume during calls

About the only thing I miss from the previous Z, is the vehicle dynamics screen... In which I've already requested to Pioneer to include in a future firmware update... doubt it'll happen though...

I don't regret upgrading at all... An IPod is a great replacement for the HDD in the old Z's... It can store more, includes album artwork, and you don't have to update GraceNote....

I've only used the SD card once...to load a custom splash picture...

Think of the Z1/2/3 as a ten year old computer, it just doesn't work well with newer technology/accessories.

*The Z110 has an ipod interface so much better and faster than the Z1/2/3, as well as album covers and the ability to play movies from ipods, that you wouldn't ever need that hard drive you burned your CDs to before.

*It also has a bluetooth chipset and software about 5 years newer than the one with the Z1/2/3 which means it not only works with thousands more phones, but it also sounds better and has more bluetooth profiles including the ability to stream music.

*It accepts USB/SD without the external adaptor. If you have ever used that adaptor with the Z1/2/3, you know what a piece of shit it was and how difficult the interface is.

*It is more customizable too

(If you wait for the Z120 or update your 110, you will also get a snazzy new A/V menu, XM interface, MusicSphere, and gas mileage thingy)

Sorry, none of the reasons are compelling to me:

* I don't have an iPod, nor do I intend to purchase one--the ONLY reason I have that adapter is in the event a passenger that rides with me has one, and we want to see or listen to what's on it.

* My phone has no problems hooking up to the bluetooth module, and it's one of the latest phones available, a Touch Pro 2

* I can do quite a bit of customization with the Z1-->Z3 I now have, and have added a customized start splash screen to it.

* Vehicle Dynamics is the view I choose for everything except when I am checking for POI's - - neither of which is included with the Z110BT

* I have no need for an SD card, I can do anything I need to with the DVD ROM drive

* I haven't installed the USB module yet, but I would anticipate that, considering statements indicating there's a problem with the bluetooth module and my not having any problems with it whatsoever, it's likely I wouldn't have any problems with it, either.

* Voice Command is iffy at best on nearly everything I've ever tried it with, including the Onstar-integrated one in my TrailBlazer SS and on the phones I've installed it upon, so chances are it would be no better than either of those applications, which are, in turn, no better than what I currently have, I seriously doubt there would be significantly enough difference to warrant the $900 expenditure.

Additionally, Z1's are far from 10 year old technology; at best, there might be a slightly faster processor in the Z110BT, perhaps faster/more RAM. That also isn't a significant enough difference to justify a $900+ expenditure, and again, when you consider the features it LACKS, seems pretty much like a downgrade to me.

One more thing . . . it's my understanding that the Z1 came out in 2006, and I bought mine in May of 2007; considering that the time between when it came out and now is about 3-1/2 years, perhaps approaching 4 years, seems that perhaps one or more people believe that this timespan is equal to "nearly 5 years" . . . I guess so, if you're talking about the amount of time criminals are sentenced to and how much time they actually spend in prison--LOL!!

Thanks to all who have responded . . . I thought perhaps I was missing something, but as it turns out, it seems that my impression of the features (and/ore the lack thereof) were correct.

* I don't have an iPod, nor do I intend to purchase one--the ONLY reason I have that adapter is in the event a passenger that rides with me has one, and we want to see or listen to what's on it.

There is no reason for you to go to this unit then... Now-a-days, all my music is stored on my computers, IPhone, and IPod... I just copy to and from via thumb drives or just burn CD's as I go..Honestly, plastic disc is a dieing technology... But I like the ability to search and download entire albums in 5-10 minutes via WiFi on my IPhone/IPod.... The IPod integration of this unit is where this unit shines, and if you're not into buying an Ipod, then there is no reason to upgrade...

Thanks to all who have responded . . . I thought perhaps I was missing something, but as it turns out, it seems that my impression of the features (and/ore the lack thereof) were correct.

This unit doesn't lack features other than a IR and the vehicle dynamics view... It in fact offers a ton more... You should check out VBlue42's vids, and/or go check out a display unit at your local shop... If you're happy with you current Z, then stay with it... Out of curiosity, Why were you considering upgrading?

There is no reason for you to go to this unit then..

I totally agree. At this point, the previous Z series works great for you so don't fix it by getting another unit. Personally, I would never own the previous series. Problems with BT, the archaic iPod interface with no vid support, the lack of adding custom POI especially with the iPhone app and many other five year old technology reasons. For a while I considered it for its 7" but couldn't justify it because of its short comings. However the 110 appears to not be for you so it sounds as if you have the perfect unit for your needs now. If you do in the future decide to upgrade your preference in capabilities like iPod, newer phone, etc, give the 110BT or the next unit another look.

If you're happy with you current Z, then stay with it... Out of curiosity, Why were you considering upgrading?

As was the case when I purchased the Z1 and the Z2 upgrade came out, and then the Z3 upgrade after that, I wanted the latest update available, and thought that the new Z110BT might be similar enough that it would be an easy upgrade, but it's an entirely different head unit, with a host of differences.

Unfortunately, the new model and the features it has and, more importantly, doesn't have, isn't anything I'd be interested in, so I'll stick with what I have until such time as something that impresses me comes out.