AVIC411.com

questions about AVIC D2 PRICE

Ok guys I'm totally new here and realitively new to the market in regards to navigation systems. I've been looking at these units off and on for 2 years now and still can't seem to make my mind up, but i'm getting close to bitting the bullet and buying one.

Here are the requirements I'm want met: 1) maintain factory look in my 04 F150 FX4. 2) control my XM radio. 3) allow my passengers to watch DVD'd while traveling. 4) allow me to use my future Ipod.

I had my mind set on an Eclipse 5435, which took care of #1 and 3. I was planning on using an auxillary connection for my XM. The Ipod interface had me puzzeled. From crutchfield $1200

I just found the Pioneer AVIC D2 on crutchfield for $1200, but they're offering the reverse cammera and a $200 crutchfield gift card for free, along with free shipping and no sales tax. This seems like a bargin to me!

If I go with the D2, could I simply use my PS2 as my DVD player and also be able to play games? In regards to the Ipod, I don't currently have one but will soon. I want this to elliminate the need for CD's in my truck. I don't need the name of the song or artist on the screen, I just want the ability to shuffle my playlists. Basically the Ipod will be used like a large juke box when I'm not listening to XM.

So if I go this route, what would be my best options? THe pioneer Ipod interface or some other cable I've read about (not sure about the name of this cable). Will the PS2 idea work? I will rarely need the DVD feature but would like to have it as an option.

well first off, if you been looking for navi for 2 years, you arent new to this. joking aside, the d2 is a great unit, cept at crutchfield since 1200 is way overpriced. even though they give you a discount card and backup camera blah blah blah... it breaks down to like $750 for the d2, and $180 for the camera, and shipping for like $50 for overnight... totaling 980 and thats with NO gift card you have to spend at crutchfield. Also, keep in mind the prices I quoted are medium, so you can find it for less even.

as for the ipod, get the pioneer piece as it integrates well.. a little slow but works well. you can do the bypass on the d2 so to adjust navi and watch a dvd source while driving, remember, d2 does not have a dvd player built in.

As for xm, you would have to get a new xm piece, not the factory unit. then it would be controlled within the unit.

The PS2 idea will work, you'll just need to buy a power inverter. I have a D2, and instead I went out and got a cheap portable DVD player and have that hooked up. No need for a power inverter as I hardwired it into the car.

For the iPod, if you just want to use playlists, then I think the Pioneer one should be fine. I only had the Pioneer interface for a week or so, then I switched to the iPod2Car. Its made by Peripheral and for me, it takes the place of my XM radio button since I don't have XM. Since you'll have XM, I don't know if it'll switch to Sirius; you might want to email Peripheral and find out. Either way, it scrolls to show title and artist and is fairly quick to get to the playlists.

I also bought my D2 of Crutchfield. It was at a time when they were offering a free AVIC-S1 (which I ended up selling for $400) and free installation, so it turned out to be a pretty good deal for me since they sold it for $1250, again no sales tax or shipping. It ended up costing me about $1000 with the DVD player, 3rd party rear view camera, iPod2Car and other things. Overall, I am very happy with it and would definately recommend it.

Thanks guys, you've answered my questions. Yeah I guess i'm not new to navigation, but moreso, new to this forum.

I believe I'll go this route, I'm sure I could find it cheaper somewhere else but I'm paying a little for the conveince of not having to find each piece of my system indiviually, and given my limited knowledge of these systems I'd spend more time referencing compatability than anything else. Also crutchfield has this 6 months no interest program going so I'm going to use there money for 6 months as I make payments on the unit.

I think I'll go with the PS2 hook up for DVD playback so I can have a game console to kill time on lunch breaks at work annd stuff. Cruthfield offers this Ipod2car thing as an accessory for the D2 for 120 bucks but doesn't list the cable needed for pioneer, only the cable for alpine.

THANKS!`

I ordered the same unit from Crutchfield yesterday. One of the main reasons of using Crutchfield is that they are a Pioneer retailer and you'll have full manufactures warranty. I'm planning on selling the camera and using the $200 for the XM receiver and a multimeter. At the end, I'll have the D2, XM and multimeter for about $1K. I can live with that.

If you're going to use the PS2 in your vehicle, I'd definitely recommend a power inverter with noise filtering. I used a PS2 in my vehicle (Honda Civic) and the alternator induced a constant buzzing noise through the speakers.

I'd recommend the Monster MCPI-300:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-MCPI-300-300-WATT-Inverter/dp/B0002EQVOI/sr=8-1/qid=1165383194/ref=sr_1_1/102-2642955-6512927?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I have one and it works great, no noise what-so-ever. You need to hardwire it, but that means you can put it whereever and not use up power outlets. They also have a 150w version which plugs into normal car outlet.

Also, since Monster no longer makes them, you can get one for about $30, which is cheaper than almost anywhere for a similar rated inverter.

This is something I thought of last night while at work. How many video sources can the D2 handle? If I'm using the reverse camera will I also be able to feed in the video from the PS2 with out needing a switch or something?

I've got a small (300W i think) inverter but don't know the brand off the top of my head. Can one of these filters be added or will I need a complete new unit?

So with the Ipod2car I'll have better control over the Ipod? Like I said my main concern is that I will be able to load up to 30GB of music on the Ipod and be able to shuffle the entire thing. I'd say my use of the Ipod and XM will be 60% Ipod and 40% XM. The cost difference between the 2 units isn't that great so which ever one will give me the best control is what I want.

Just FYI... I don't even own an Ipod but "santa" is supposed to bring me one as long as I tell "her" too. But I might could use that 200 bucks at crutchfield to get the 30GB Ipod for 50 bucks.

Ok here is what I think I'll go with...

AVIC D2

Ipod2car*

Pioneer GEX-P920XM satellite reciever* (*)

Use my rarely played anymore PS2 as my DVD player w/ pwr inverter

reverse camera

* will require a daisy chain hook up?? Not clear about this but was told by crutchfield tech that the unit would recognize everything.

(*)I currently have an XM commander with reciever box and it's own radio ID. Will I have to pay for another subscription of XM or can I transfer my current subscription?

(*)I currently have an XM commander with reciever box and it's own radio ID. Will I have to pay for another subscription of XM or can I transfer my current subscription?

With sirius at least, if you sign up for a second reciever its cheaper then the first, like 7$ more per month for the second unit. If you cancel the first one, you should be able to sign up the new one with your account for the same price.

Thanks for all the answers and help guys! I'm sure you've had to answer these same questions numerous times, but I appreciate your patience with all my questions.

I'll be ordering everything tomorrow afternoon I hope and I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of my install!

Can someone confirm that the buttons on the D2 will be green in color when illuminated? Just need to make sure so I can maintain a factory like apperance.