AVIC411.com

NOOB just purchased Z2, a few questions if you have time.

Hi:

Just purchased a used Z2 as I am getting ready to install it in the next couple months in my C5Z Vette.

While I piece the rest of the parts I need to modify the dash of the Vette to accommodate the Z2 I have a few NOOB questions. I am hoping to just keep this all in one post so that I don't screw up while I do the surgery on the Vette.

[1] Upgrade Z2 to Z3 HDD? I am thinking of just starting with a fresh Z3 from garrettoomey before I even install the unit in the car. Thinking I can just temporary power it up to expose the HDD and swap them out. Is my plan reasonable?

[2] Thinking of a 40 GB with 2009 maps from garrettoomey. Might as well start with the latest and greatest.

I believe I just have to do the 2 wire ground during the install and that's it after step 1 is complete.

Is this correct?

[3] Anything else I am missing?? Will the upgraded unit be 100% functional and I can start learning how to use this rig?

I am going with a back up camera, XM Navtraffic etc, and Ipod adapter.

[4] Is it true that if you power the unit off via disconnecting the car battery that all is erased and you start from square 1 (ie. reloading CD's into the HDD, loose all your custom routes etc?)?

Thanks guys,

Andy :mrgreen:

Hi:

Just purchased a used Z2 as I am getting ready to install it in the next couple months in my C5Z Vette.

While I piece the rest of the parts I need to modify the dash of the Vette to accommodate the Z2 I have a few NOOB questions. I am hoping to just keep this all in one post so that I don't screw up while I do the surgery on the Vette.

[1] Upgrade Z2 to Z3 HDD? I am thinking of just starting with a fresh Z3 from garrettoomey before I even install the unit in the car. Thinking I can just temporary power it up to expose the HDD and swap them out. Is my plan reasonable?

[2] Thinking of a 40 GB with 2009 maps from garrettoomey. Might as well start with the latest and greatest.

I believe I just have to do the 2 wire ground during the install and that's it after step 1 is complete.

Is this correct?

[3] Anything else I am missing?? Will the upgraded unit be 100% functional and I can start learning how to use this rig?

[4] Is it true that if you power the unit off via disconnecting the car battery that all is erased and you start from square 1 (ie. reloading CD's into the HDD, loose all your custom routes etc?)?

Thanks guys,

1] Your plan is reasonable. I highly recommend the hard drive that Garret sells. I personally have not bought one from him but when I upgraded my drive, it took about a month to collect all the hardware and software I needed and that was a REAL pain in the ass. The ease of just buying one from him, not to mention that he comes highly recommended (I've NEVER seen someone say anything bad about his service).

2] That's correct.

3] Yes.

4] This is incorrect. Anything stored on the hard drive (which is non-volatile storage) will be saved even in the event of complete power loss. You WILL lose your station presets and - I think - your audio system settings (EQ, etc.). Your songs and maps are safe, along with contacts and even backgrounds.

Hi:

Is this correct?

Thanks guys,

1] Your plan is reasonable. I highly recommend the hard drive that Garret sells. I personally have not bought one from him but when I upgraded my drive, it took about a month to collect all the hardware and software I needed and that was a REAL pain in the ass. The ease of just buying one from him, not to mention that he comes highly recommended (I've NEVER seen someone say anything bad about his service).

2] That's correct.

3] Yes.

4] This is incorrect. Anything stored on the hard drive (which is non-volatile storage) will be saved even in the event of complete power loss. You WILL lose your station presets and - I think - your audio system settings (EQ, etc.). Your songs and maps are safe, along with contacts and even backgrounds.

Thanks so much for the response.

If I go with the double wire grounding mod, will the back up camera automatically come up on the LCD when I shift it in reverse? I suspect it will not.