AVIC411.com

I found out they will be a problem

I went to volvo speed and the guy who has installed pioneer double din units into 70 models says its going to be hard, do you guys have any ideas on what things I could get to help with my install ? Would appreciate any help.
This is what he said

good luck with the Z1, its got an even wider opening than the d2 and does not come with a cage likt he d2

basically, i got it down to where i can do it in about 4 hours total now, since i did two, one in marvins car one in steve's car.

you need to do this in this order:

1. shave off the side railings, a thin saw would do the trick...

2. find some kind of spacers, out of wood, to place arond the unit, so it sits in there correctly, beucase there is no cage, you cant use a cage to positive the unit...basically just have to trial and error until when you slide it in, it sits in there correctly.

3. secureing it, this is the hardest part, what i did before is to use two super lomng back straps, mounted to the backstrap hole in the back o the unit. on the driver side, extend it down and bolt it with a few screws to the metal knee brace, on the passenger side, extend it to behind the glovebox and bolt it to the firewall or any secure bracket you can find, you will be pulling hard on these straps when you bolt to make sure hte headunit in there correctly.

4 then just fabricate a trim plate so it look good...

again, since hte z1 does not have a cage and is wider, this will be a bit more difficult than the d2...good luck...
The cage for the Z1 and 6800dvd is sold seperately. The model number is ADT-VA133. Not sure many dealers will actually have it on hand but they should be able to get one for you

[quote name="Tyrant11429"]I went to volvo speed and the guy who has installed pioneer double din units into 70 models says its going to be hard, do you guys have any ideas on what things I could get to help with my install ? Would appreciate any help.
This is what he said

good luck with the Z1, its got an even wider opening than the d2 and does not come with a cage likt he d2

basically, i got it down to where i can do it in about 4 hours total now, since i did two, one in marvins car one in steve's car.

you need to do this in this order:

1. shave off the side railings, a thin saw would do the trick...

2. find some kind of spacers, out of wood, to place arond the unit, so it sits in there correctly, beucase there is no cage, you cant use a cage to positive the unit...basically just have to trial and error until when you slide it in, it sits in there correctly.

3. secureing it, this is the hardest part, what i did before is to use two super lomng back straps, mounted to the backstrap hole in the back o the unit. on the driver side, extend it down and bolt it with a few screws to the metal knee brace, on the passenger side, extend it to behind the glovebox and bolt it to the firewall or any secure bracket you can find, you will be pulling hard on these straps when you bolt to make sure hte headunit in there correctly.

4 then just fabricate a trim plate so it look good...

again, since hte z1 does not have a cage and is wider, this will be a bit more difficult than the d2...good luck...[/quote]
Very strange that the z1 would be wider than the d1 or d2. If it's a double din then It's got to be 7" wide. I've put plenty of dual single din cd player in those types of cars, if anything the extra size of the cage for a double din would make it fit in that dash opening better. As far as I remember the part number for the d1/d2/z1 chassis is the same. Best bet would be see if you can find the dimensions for the z1. Then measure the dimensions of the radio opening in your car. The dimensions of a d1's cage are 4 3/8" tall by 7 1/8". That's the outside of the cage. The inside, where the screen resides are 3 15/16" tall by 7".
Thats what I was saying the d1 and z1 are the same size, I hope it works I'm really siked about getting this avic z1. Do they sell aftermarktet cages for european cars like my double din volvo? I heard on volvospeed kenwood makes a cage, do you guys know anything about.
[quote name="Tyrant11429"]Thats what I was saying the d1 and z1 are the same size, I hope it works I'm really siked about getting this avic z1. Do they sell aftermarktet cages for european cars like my double din volvo? I heard on volvospeed kenwood makes a cage, do you guys know anything about.[/quote]

You can order the double din cage for the z1/d series directly from pioneer. Of course I might be able to get a hold of one for you fairly cheaply, but I'll have to check.
Hey I was checking today and measuring the sizes the z1 is about 7in wide my factory radio is almost 7 1/2 that would leave a quater of a inch on each side. The factory radio has the bracket on each side where it goes on the rail do you think I'd be able to take of the bracket and screw it on the side of the z1 and be able to fit in, you've done there cars before right, and know about the rails and the brakcet on the factory radio on the volvo 70 series, any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
seriously, even for us that have done cars. Just pull it out

you will be able to measure it with your own hands and eyes and tell us how it works. We cant see it, so it may not be a good reply. Pull it out, try to fab it up, take pictures, then submit it asking for suggestions. Showing us the radio in the dash, without the rails in the shot makes it difficult.

I did the entire installation before I even found this site. Just use your basic wrenching skills. If you cant figure it out, I dont think some guys paragraph on the internet is gonna really make the difference. In some major fabbing situations, a shop is in your best interest, at least for the fab.
I already did the measurement, and am a mechanic work at sears auto. I just wanted to know if anyone here who has done a volvo 70 series could give me an idea of how they did it, or if they know of a euro cage or something that would help. I have a friend who does alarms and sterio and most likely going to take it to him, but want to have an idea of whats going to be involved.
Guess what I went to a shop today and they wanted $400 to put it in saying it would take all day to install the avic z1, I think I'll find a cheaper person to put it for me. 2nd the guy was saying they'd have to bypass the factory volvo amp saying it doesn't work well with the pioneer, have you guys ever heard of something like this ?
I dont have a camera right now to take the pics :( srry man
Uh it has 2 plugs both with a lot of wires guessing for illum, speaker, power, ground etc, than I have 3 other wires 2 of them are like headphone kinda wires maybe for my factory cd changer and 1 looks kinda like a anntenna wire( I have antenna in glass). total of 5 wires. But I wonder why theyd want to bypass the factory amp, would both amps blow out the speaker ? wondering if they'd have to cut any of my factory wires to bypass it, and would it sound better than my factory amp? I guess I'll find out tomorrow

I already started customizing for the install, but didnt work the way I expected. I went to home depot bought a pack of thin slim sheets of metal ya know the ones they use for side projects roofing etc, it bendable and small, so what I did is I made a template for the factory radio bracket that pulls out the radio and locks it into place, and also did the template for the holes on the z1 so I can mount the factory bracket onto my own metal bracket to put onto the z1. The idea was clever, but its a bit wider still, I was hoping I could shave the rails a bit and put into place like the factory radio. I'm still taking it to a shop, but if I my own creation could be some help I'll show the ppl who are going to do it the idea I came up with.
Hey guys I had it installed by a guy in a shop for $100 he secured it good to the firewall he trimed the rails a little enough for it to fit in perfect.. He didn't have to bypass the amp at all total time it took him was an hour and half. The navigation and dvd are bypassed with the circuit unit I got from a guy from a website. I'll show you guys the pics when I get them from my friend. I want to thank all you guys for your help and advise I really appreciate it.