AVIC411.com

I love this unit, BUT the lack of streets is KILLING it!

This unit is great so far, but I just can't get over the fact that it lacks heavily in displaying major cross streets. The other unit I had which was a Kenwood would let you know the next street coming up & everything even when not using route guidance. I like to know what major cross streets are coming up before I get to them especially when I'm in an area I'm not familiar with at all. It sure does display little streets in the neighborhoods I pass by when crossing any intersection which is really NO HELP AT ALL! :evil: Even in our company car if I'm driving I can look at the factory nav & know that 2 lights down the road is where I will need to turn.

Can anything be done for this? Please tell me it can & this will be the perfect unit as it pretty much is for me other than this.

Thanks!

No other maps and we will have to see what they fix with the upgrade.

Thanks for the reply! This is the only thing that bothers me as I said.

One other thing I read the manual & searched this site, but couldn't find an answer for this. I was messing around scrolling on the map & noticed that if I put the cursor over a POI it would tell me what it was. For example I scrolled & placed the cursor over a 7 Eleven & was then able to touch a tab on the screen that gave me the address & phone number for that 7 eleven, but I couldn't do anything from there? Is there a way to tell it to give directions to the store or even call the store being it new the phone number?

Thanks!

If you leave the map scale on the lowest setting, ie. 0.25mi instead of 0.5 or 1mi. You get a little bit more street details. Nothing like the Garmin but a little better.

Garmin is more than a little better. This nav map on here is more & more a joke everyday. I was driving today & for what seemed like 5 minutes in a major area there was no street names at all! If they don't do something to fix this I will highly consider getting rid of it. I called TeleAtlas about it & they said they send Pioneer full software & Pioneer dumbs it down & they can't do anything about it only Pioneer. TeleAtlas is affiliated with TomTom so I know this map we have can be WAAAAAAAY better.

Garmin is more than a little better. This nav map on here is more & more a joke everyday. I was driving today & for what seemed like 5 minutes in a major area there was no street names at all! If they don't do something to fix this I will highly consider getting rid of it. I called TeleAtlas about it & they said they send Pioneer full software & Pioneer dumbs it down & they can't do anything about it only Pioneer. TeleAtlas is affiliated with TomTom so I know this map we have can be WAAAAAAAY better.

Maybe you should have a look over at the Kenwood forums on the problems with the Garmin software they had not long ago. The DNX9140 had the same problem and it remains to be seen if it was ever totally fixed.

Maybe you should have a look over at the Kenwood forums on the problems with the Garmin software they had not long ago. The DNX9140 had the same problem and it remains to be seen if it was ever totally fixed.

Can you point me in the right direction as far as who to complain to about this issue on the Pioneer? I did call TeleAtlas, but was obviously told it's not them, but Pioneer. I've been to the Pioneer site, but even calling the phone number on there I didn't get far. I can't be the only one that this is an issue for...

Your the first to complain this loudly about it. Maybe its not a big deal to others. I for one really don't care if it shows all the streets or not. All I need it to do is show me which street to turn on next and show me the I am on now. The rest are really irrelevant.

For the record, not having the street name detail annoys the hell out of me, too. It just looks... cheap. I have an old Navman portable GPS which isn't great to begin with and it has far more detail than this. I also have a three or four year old Eclipse 5495 with a better street level map display than this. I really hope Pioneer releases a fix for this. I'm sure there are other things about the nav that I will grow to love and appreciate, but this isn't one of them.

I love this new unit, so this is not a Pioneer vs. Kenwood pissing match. But I have to agree that not having cross streets labeled seems like a huge oversight. My previous unit was a Kenwood DNX8120, and while everything about the Pioneer unit "looks" nicer and more modern, the Garmin maps in the older Kenwood were more detailed and the displayed info was much more helpful (especially while driving without route guidance).

Not having the next cross street name displayed doesn't seem like a big deal if you've never used it, but it can be a very helpful feature.

Here's an example: you're unfamiliar with a part of town and a friend calls to tells you to meet them somewhere but doesn't have an exact address ("Go about a mile down 1st Avenue and turn right on Olive street..."). If I don't know where Olive street is I'll have to look out the window at every upcoming street sign to know when to turn. Not the best option, especially in traffic or at night in poorly lit areas.

The Kenwood feature mentioned in the original post had the upcoming cross streets labeled as well as a banner across the top of the screen that displays the upcoming cross street. As soon as you enter an intersection the name in the banner changes from the street that you're crossing to the upcoming street on the next block, so you know the upcoming cross street name from a block away.

It's not a necessary feature if you're familiar with the part of town you're in or know exactly where you're going, but after using it for a couple years and now not having it in the Pioneer, it seems like a very helpful feature is missing.

I'll play with the zoom levels to see if I can find a setting that is more useful.

I've only had mine installed for a couple days, but I've also noticed that the maps seem grossly out of date. Even though the unit is brand new and the installer checked for all firmware & software updates, the unit can't find my address and none of the roads in my entire neighborhood are displayed. The newest roads in the area are all at least 4 years old, but the map shows no streets for blocks in any direction around my house. My three year old Kenwood displayed everything accurately.

The rest of the unit is very nice, but to me the nav is the most important feature, so I'll keep playing with the nav settings before writing it off as a waste of money, but so far I'm a bit disappointed.