AVIC411.com

Answering an incoming phone call Question

Hi.

I am installing the Z110BT into a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel. I have purchased the PAC Audio SWI-PS to carry over the steering wheel controls for the new head unit.

On the Chevy's steering wheel two buttons are doubled up. The "Answer Phone" and "Voice Recognition" are a single button, and the "Down Menu" and "Hang Up" buttons are doubled up. I confrimed that you cannot map the SWI-PS to multiple function.

So - my question: Is it possible to answer an incoming BT phone call on the AVIC Z110BT in any other way than the green phone on the touch screen? Can you answer the phone by pressing the "Voice Recongition" button on the front of the AVIC?

Can someone with the head unit try this for me? ;)

Thanks!

Patrick

Right, BUT:

There are not enough unique buttons because some buttons have multiple purposes.

My current (factory) steering wheel supports 10 functions:

1. Menu Up

2. Menu down

3. Volume Up

4. Volume down

5. Source

6. Track advance

7. Answer phone

8. Hang up Phone

9. Mute Audio.

10. Voice Activation

I only have 7 buttons on the steering wheel :( On the GMs the "Menu Down" and "Hang Up Phone" functions are the same button. Also the "Voice Activation", "Answer Phone", and "Mute Audio" functions are all the same button.

http://origin-chevrolet-prod-iad.pnangi ... owners.pdf

(See Page 4-143)

I am going to have the steering wheel buttons do "Voice Activation" and "Menu Down". I will mute, answer phone, and hang up phone by using the touch screen on the AVIC.

Kind of a bummer, but you cannot program multiple functions to the same function on the SWI-PS.

That should not matter. All of that is probably programed that way on the factory head unit, not the buttons. If you have 7 buttons, you more then most. What I am saying is that it doesn't matter what those buttons did with the factory head unit. You can program all of those buttons to whatever functions you want on the SWI-PS.

Looking at a pic from GM's site....

I would omit programming the hang up function.... You can either wait for the other person to hang up, in which BT will disconnect.... or you can reach over and hit the hang up button on the head unit.... Plus... it doesn't look like you were able to "track down" with the stock head unit... So you would gain an extra function...

I had a small issue with my SWIPS(finally fixed it BTW) where my VC on my steering wheel would bleed over to the volume down button..... As a work-a-round, I did this same thing and just omitted the hang up button.... It's nice to have, but it didn't bother me too much not having it....

this is how I would program it.....

post-11718-12872761875489_thumb.jpg

Excellent info guys. I wanted to figure this out before installing and programming so I can get it right the first time - and not have to re-open the dash and re-program because I was unclear what could and couldnt be done.

I will lose 3 function from my previous settup - but I am coming out way ahead ;) I think the trade-off will be "Answer/Hang Up" vs. "Menu Up / Menu Down". Mute is not a big deal for me.

Thanks again.

Excellent info guys. I wanted to figure this out before installing and programming so I can get it right the first time - and not have to re-open the dash and re-program because I was unclear what could and couldnt be done.

I will lose 3 function from my previous settup - but I am coming out way ahead ;) I think the trade-off will be "Answer/Hang Up" vs. "Menu Up / Menu Down". Mute is not a big deal for me.

Thanks again.

The VC button can be held down for ACC/Mute...

So if you program the VC button, you'll also have mute... :D

How many buttons on the steering wheel can you program? My installer only did 4 (volume + - and track change + -) He said that's all he can do. I'm missing phone and voice activation buttons which I would love to have. Is he BSing me or is what he did correct? Thanks in advance and sorry for being a nubie VBLue.

You should be able to program every button on the steering wheel unless specifically noted otherwise in the PAC install manual. He could be full of crap, or just incompetent. There is a vehicle specific install manual that comes with the PAC so look through it and see if it mentions any issues with your vehicle.

You should be able to program every button on the steering wheel unless specifically noted otherwise in the PAC install manual. He could be full of crap, or just incompetent. There is a vehicle specific install manual that comes with the PAC so look through it and see if it mentions any issues with your vehicle.

One thing to keep in mind - PAC-Audio recently came out with udpated versions of the SWI-PS harness for steering wheel controls. Older versions support fewer functions than the newer 1.6.7 (added BT functions) and 1.6.8 models (added VR functions).

Your installer may have used an older version of of the SWI-PS, but even so...you would still have more than 4 functions. Sounds like he was just lazy.