AVIC411.com

Steering wheel controls

First of all I would like to say thanks for all the valuable information found on this site. It has helped me greatly even when my installer messed up the bypass.

I have a 09 4Runner and recently installed the z110... I had to get a jbl interface because I have the upgraded speakers. I bouth the PAC steering wheel controls but since I have the interface installed my installer said that the steering wheel controls do not fit....

I believe the PAC must use the PAC interface but my installer installed a axxess system.... Is there another way I can get the steering wheel controls to work... I have never heard of Axxess and cannot seem to find out any info on them.....

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The installer telling you that the PAC "would not fit" is ridicules. Unless PAC has not released a module that works with your vehicle, he is full of crap. Axxess is made by Metra and appears to be a good interface but it can not be programed to custom functions as the PAC can. For instance, you wont get VR control from your steering wheel with the Axxess. Take it back and demand they give you what you want.

the axxess ASWC CAN be manually programmed to make the buttons do whatever you want. It is a swwet little interface and as a professional installer myself I prefer using the Axxess ASWC to the PAC PSWIPS. Im not saying the PAC is a bad product by any means because its great. But after using the AXXESS module I believe its the better one. If your installer cannot get either of these to work with your vehicle, maybe its time to find a new installer.

as a professional installer myself I prefer using the Axxess ASWC to the PAC PSWIPS.

Can you tell us the reasons why you prefer Axxess over PAC?

Axxess has a USB hook up that will allow you to program it any way you would like, but thats only if you want to. I drive a Honda Civic 2007 EX. It has 3 Buttons, Volume UP/Down, Track Up/Down and Mode. So I put it into Auto Detect Mode. It detected my Head Unit and my Car.. Automatically assigned the buttons to Volume Up/Down, Track Up/Down and Source (mode Button). The Axxess was so simple to install... I actually did this myself as I forget to have the installer do it. It took no time at all.

The thing with Axxess is, its so simple. No screwing around w/ anything, just very easy and straight forward.

• 6 months later...

I installed the Axxess and the Z110BT (modded to a Z120BT) in my Toyota Tundra.

Volume, track, and mode buttons work perfectly.

I went through the Axxess manual and attempted to assign the Voice command, off hook, and on hook buttons but had no luck. The off hook and on hook buttons don't do anything and the Voice command button just sends me to the Phone Menu screen on the AVIC.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a list of the commands that the AVIC can take from the steering wheel controls?

It likely wont work for those functions. I would call Metra and ask them directly but for now the PAC is the only solution as far as I know to program those functions. this is why I don't recommend Axxess at this time. Sure the PAC is a pain to program but that only needs to be done once and it is totally customizable.

I have an 08 Escalade and have the 110/120, the installer put PAC in and I love it, It works with my factory steering wheel controls. I have VR on 1 button (same button if I hold it down works the onstar) volume up and down, track up and down, and source. He told me he could program the buttons any way I wanted with it, he thought the on hook and off hook buttons could be programmed but I did not have a spot for them and it worked out better this way for me. I have been beyond happy with this setup! Just push the VR button and say "call...." works like a charm.

An even better combo is to incorporate the PAC WRI-P wireless remote receiver, Pioneer CD-SR100 steering wheel remote, and the PAC SWI-PS for the controls on your steering wheel. With this setup, you can have the Pioneer remote handle the volume, track skip, ATT, preset skip, station skip, source, and radio band. Then you can have the steering wheel controls programed to VR and phone functions. With this setup you can control nearly every function remotely. I have used this very setup before and will be using it again soon.

An even better combo is to incorporate the PAC WRI-P wireless remote receiver, Pioneer CD-SR100 steering wheel remote, and the PAC SWI-PS for the controls on your steering wheel. With this setup, you can have the Pioneer remote handle the volume, track skip, ATT, preset skip, station skip, source, and radio band. Then you can have the steering wheel controls programed to VR and phone functions. With this setup you can control nearly every function remotely. I have used this very setup before and will be using it again soon.

Sounds interesting, I will look into that. Thanks

Axxess has a USB hook up that will allow you to program it any way you would like, but thats only if you want to. I drive a Honda Civic 2007 EX. It has 3 Buttons, Volume UP/Down, Track Up/Down and Mode. So I put it into Auto Detect Mode. It detected my Head Unit and my Car.. Automatically assigned the buttons to Volume Up/Down, Track Up/Down and Source (mode Button). The Axxess was so simple to install... I actually did this myself as I forget to have the installer do it. It took no time at all.

The thing with Axxess is, its so simple. No screwing around w/ anything, just very easy and straight forward.

I looked at the Axxess site and it was not apparent whether there is a setup program or not to program this device through the USB. Is it an installer program or something regular grunts can get too?

To my knowledge, no one has reported that they were able to, or have the Axxess interfaces custom programed to functions of their choice to the controls as can be done with the PAC modules. I suspect the few people who have reported that it can be custom programed are just reading the documentation and don't actually have the interfaces custom programed. I am sure if I am wrong, this comment will certainly pull them out of the wood work in response. But until then, I am still only recommending the PAC modules as a solution to people who want custom programed functions. Especially the VR.

I looked at the Axxess site and it was not apparent whether there is a setup program or not to program this device through the USB. Is it an installer program or something regular grunts can get too?

I just installed a Z120BT with the ASWC and you can program custom buttons yourself in the vehicle without using the usb port. My F-150 has volume up/down and memory/track-forward buttons. The unit set itself up perfectly for the stock buttons but I wanted the memory button (pages through sources) to be changed to track-down. I don't remember the exact sequence of button pushes but the instructions that came with the ASWC give you step by step instructions to change any button to whatever you want. Worked perfectly on the first try and I haven't messed with it since.