AVIC411.com

• 1 month later...

I have been unsuccessful at transfering the phone book from my LG cherry Chocolate phone and came upon this post while searching the forum.

I looked in the AVIC-Z1 manual and all it says is get to the screen where it's waiting for the transfer (ya no problem...) and "operate your phone" to transfer the numbers. Well that isn't very helpful. I tried poking around at some various settings on the phone while in this mode and no dice.

So I looked up help and support for my device at Verizon. Also not very helpful. They did have a pdf chart of what devices did what. Mine says it can do contacts to PC transfer, but using the officeconnect package. Since I think I've seen posts from people who have done this, I am wondering if they would mind putting up some quick instructions. Most of the posts I have come across about the phonebook transfer just list if a phone works and how many contacts can get transferred at a time, not really how it's done.

I suspect I'm going to feel like a total idiot, because it's probably so easy and that is why no one bothers to post it. That's ok tho, I am blonde so i'm used to it. :wink:

vampneko,

Chances are, your Verizon phone cannot transfer your contacts. Verizon cripples their phones in ways so that people cannot transfer items from phone to phone (or Z1 in this instance). This way they can keep making profits from "Get It Now". The feature required to transfer your contacts, and also ringtones, to other phones or your Z1 is called OPP (object push protocol) aka: OBEX (object exchange). Unfortunately, Verizon disables this in most of their phones except the smartphones.

The way it's supposed to work, at least with Motorolas, on the Z1 you select the "transfer bcards" setting, it will disconnect from your phone. Now you get on your phone, go to the phonebook and highlight your desired contact. Push the "menu" button while on your highlighted contact and it should bring up some options to include "copy". If you select "copy" it should say "bluetooth" on the following screen. You would then select "bluetooth" and it should reconnect and transfer your contact. If you select "copy" but you get numbers instead of "bluetooth" you don't have OPP enabled on your phone. It might be different with LGs but the concept should be the same. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Look for an option in your cell phone that allows you to send all contacts via Bluetooth. It is usually under Advanced options. Be aware that if you have multiple phone numbers under one person's name, you will get several entries for the same person, one for each phone number stored.