AVIC411.com

Don't worry, I'm not looking for the location of the Speed Pulse Wire. I've found that, I've crimped on the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire and checked it for connection and everything looked good. The problem is, the unit won't read the speed pulse. When I start the car and start driving, it reads the speed pulse just fine, but after a little while when I'm on the highway or something, I'll notice the tracking on the screen getting choppy and I check settings--->hardware----->connections and the speed pulse will say 0. It will stay on zero and periodically jump up a bit and then get back to 0. When I first installed the deck about a month ago, the speed pulse was reading all the time. But more and more now, the speed pulse will only be reading well only 25% of the time. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Well, you problem can be that you have the wrong VSS wire connected. In my car, there are 3 speed pulses that can be detected by the Z1 but, only one of them actually produces something that the Z1 can decipher. I would suggest doing more research on you vehicle to confirm that there are no other VSS wires that you can tap.

Well, you problem can be that you have the wrong VSS wire connected. In my car, there are 3 speed pulses that can be detected by the Z1 but, only one of them actually produces something that the Z1 can decipher. I would suggest doing more research on you vehicle to confirm that there are no other VSS wires that you can tap.

I've researched this thoroughly. This is the exact same wire that people with my car (Nissan 350Z taps into). But like I said, it does read the pulse. Sometimes it works just fine. More and more lately though, it'll all of a sudden have trouble reading the speed pulse after I've been driving a little while.

Also, of note, sometimes when it's not reading the pulse, I notice the "Installation Position" reads "Excessive Vibration". This only happens sometimes though, and not sure if it has anything to do with the Speed Pulse because when the Speed Pulse is being read fine, I'm not checking the Hardware Connections screen.

I would also suggest getting rid of that crappy crimp on connector and physically splicing into the wire. Its very possible that you're getting an intermittant connection and thats why you aren't getting accurate speed pulse readings.

Actually, my mistake, I actually did splice the wire. What a friend of mine suggested I do is to actually solder the wires together. I may try that later today if I can find other alternatives. I'm hoping that I don't have a defective unit because I've spent hours uploading about 90 albums onto the HDD.

Thanks for all the input so far, fellas.

Also check to make sure that the VSS wire is securely connected behind the Z1. Those butt connectors can also come lose. Again, I would recommend just cutting off the connectors and soldering it together; just make sure you leave yourself some excess wire.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna take this advice and go ahead and pull out the soldering gun.

Thanks for the help, guys.