AVIC411.com

Updated Map Info Available for Z1???!!!

Hi, so I got my Z1 installed and working properly (minus the speed wire) and I am really disapointed, like many of you are, about how outdated the maps are. Well I MAY have a solution. A buddy of mine just bought the AVIC-S1. His map file (named US_20060704_PIONEER_U11.map, approx 1.6GB) was made i assume 07/04/2006.... His map file although not perfect is updated to approximatly that date. There is a road that was put in about 2 years ago that is in his map that is not in mine. I am wondering if there is any way to take that map file and import it into the Z1. He told me that the S1 comes with an update utitlity to dowload new maps! I wish this was a possibility with the Z1. One strange thing happened though. He went to check the "super secret ftp site" as he called it but the files that they had for download on the ftp server were named US_2005XXXX_PIONEER_U11.map. He did not dowload it because he was afraid that he would loose his updated map information and end up with a smilar situation to what I have... Let me know if anyone has looked into this file and installing it onto the Z1. Thanks everyone!

NOTE: I am getting a copy of the updated file from his SD card and I will make it available on my web server ASAP.

Jeff

I will do what I can. He said it wasn't a standard ftp/sftp site. He had to use proprietary software to connect to it. The company that makes the map software for the s1 is apparently called navteq. I checked thier website and there is no information about pioneer on their website. It says if the company you are looking for is not on navteq's site then to contact them directly... I will get all the information i can ASAP. I was looking to see if anyone had heard anything about this software or company...

One thing I can tell you is that the S1 Map looks exactly like the Z1 Map. I am hoping this means that they use similar map files...

I just borrowed the disk that has the install software (including the ftp software) for the S1. I will make an ISO of it tomorrow and post a link for it when I get home. I hope this information will help us out!

Jeff