AVIC411.com

Steering Wheel Controls

You have a navigator, well the steering wheel controls don't natively interface with the Z1 you need a PAC SWI-PS device. It is hooked to your steering wheel control buttons and translates them into the communication "language" the pioneer can react to. This device needs to be programmed correctly. Sounds like that didn't happen. Did you install this interface? Someone else? Did they/you use one of these SWI-PS devices?

It does work, in fact, if you want to be weird, you can program temperature + to control the radio as well as the AC controls, but who would want to do that? :)

Actually it was installed at the dealership where I bought the car new and had the Z1 installed aftermarket through their shop guys. The first time it would not work at all with steering controls. The second time I took it in only the volume will work. I believe they either used the swix or swip harness. I just needed to know that it was possible to program before I was aggressive in asking them to fix it. I am pretty sure that they did not install the vss wire correctly either. No 3d reading and compass is pointing wrong direction. Is this something that I could program without going inside the dash, not very good at stuff like that?

Hopefully they didn't put in the SWI X, the SWI PS is the wired one, the X is the IR one. While it does the job and is more configurable (with what it can send) the wired one is better IMHO.

Either one should be able to be programmed to control almost anything you want. I have an Aviator and I believe the buttons you have are the same as mine: Vol +, Vol -, Media, Mem. Mem I programmed for Memory Preset + and I programmed my media button not for a switch media, but Track +. Those I use more than media switch.

Thanks for your help. That is something that cant be done without going to the dash?

Most likely no. It does depend where they put the SWI-? box. You need to use the key (on/off) and a button on the device itself to program it. If they mounted the box behind the Z1 (like I did) then you would have to get to it to program it.

It's possible they mounted it in a convenient location under your dash, but I doubt it.

It looks like this:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/produ ... 0Interface

Can you see it under there somewhere?