AVIC411.com

MSN functionalities (or lack thereof)

I installed the MSN thing this weekend, and have played with it a bit - but am somewhat baffled by its abilities - if someone has played, and sees something I'm missing, please elaborate...

1. I'm in So Cal (OC), but get "No Data" for movies.

2. Traffic - I thought this would show me real time stuff (like my iPhone, or any good GPS will - traffic.com, sigalert etc). Nothing seems to show on the map screen. You need to go to sub menus (or a shortcut), and get written basic info about your chosen route - which does not seem to be nearly as accurate as Sigalert).

3. Said Traffic - sometimes you come back to the screen, and I get "No Data"

Am I missing something? This thing does not seem that impressive..............

In So Cal as well and I get everything you get. I came from XM Navtraffic so the MSN service is quite terrible but what you described is normal to my understanding and it is just something we have to deal with. Hopefully whatever new service they come up with will be better!

In So Cal as well and I get everything you get. I came from XM Navtraffic so the MSN service is quite terrible but what you described is normal to my understanding and it is just something we have to deal with. Hopefully whatever new service they come up with will be better!

I was just wondering if it was me - and guess it isn't.

Not sure why there haven't been good reviews (that I have seen) showing the crazy lack of functionality for this option (MSN Direct) - I would never have even tried it had I known that it's a fairly useless box.

On the possible positive side, I think I get better FM reception now (???).

I'll live with it for another week - and then likely tear it out and return it (thanks Amazon). This is one of the lamest services i've seen in a car.

I guess the genesis was well before the advent of smartphones/iPhones etc. It's like functionality from the Flinstones era...

Do you at least get movie info (again - useless with iPhone Fandango app) - this would bring the annoyance factor down a bit for me...

Nope, I had MSN direct for 2 or 3 months now and have never had movie info.

So am I correct in stating the only real use is if you already have a route plugged in, then you can go to the text page and get a few text lines on the route (which aren't even detailed - outside of 'moving freely"etc)???

Oh - and it seems weather works - which allows me to see the current temperature (????????)?

This thing seems more and more useless every day...

I rarely travel with a route plugged in, due to the nav telling you to stay on I-5 north every 3 miles. LOL. The real use I have with it is the color coded lines and symbols for the road you're on. That way I can just hop off the interstate and hit side streets if I see a need ahead. Really I never planned on using the movie times, gas prices, etc in the first place. I just wanted the traffic portion to do as good as XM Nav Traffic. Of course I knew it wouldn't and it has held true to form. Once again, I knew most of this going in based on this forum. I just figure when you have the back up cam, XM, Sirius (before the merger), steering wheel control module, subs, amps, speakers, ipod cable what was another 80 dollars for the tuner?

I just wanted the traffic portion to do as good as XM Nav Traffic. Of course I knew it wouldn't and it has held true to form. Once again, I knew most of this going in based on this forum. I just figure when you have the back up cam, XM, Sirius (before the merger), steering wheel control module, subs, amps, speakers, ipod cable what was another 80 dollars for the tuner?

Well - yesterday I was in central OC - on a programmed route - and there they were - movie listings - and gas prices. Now I can sleep at night... Even traffic text was there (after pressing the buttons). On a 18 mile stretch - there were 3 notifications 2 within 2 miles, and the next 14 miles ahead - whoo-hoo! And weather - oh boy - it showed like 8 cities - all within 2 degrees of each other (I'll never understand why we need to be obsessed that a neighboring city is 1 degree warmer or cooler).

I'm kinda with your mentality. I've already got XM, PAC PS, PAC WRI, Pioneer steering remote, sub, speakers etc. What's another box. Nice thing - the XM and MSN, PACs all fit int he dash behind the HU (I have a 2010 Prius).

I do wish they had XM traffic (the Prius has this as an option for its nav)

• 1 month later...

I didn't at first but somehow I got my local theater's to show up. The next time I turned my car on, the data was gone... it works when it wants basically. I do have a current ACTIVE subscription to this.

I didn't at first but somehow I got my local theater's to show up. The next time I turned my car on, the data was gone... it works when it wants basically. I do have a current ACTIVE subscription to this.

I have seen the same thing - for movies, MSN seems to work when it feels like it - which is not enough (for me) to avoid going to the iPhone (Fandango)/Android (Fandango) apps.

For Traffic, there is a similar story - sometimes there's a flashing green line on your side of the road - but many times, it does not reflect the true nature of the local traffic (granular). It gives a general idea - and sometimes will ask if we want to re-route - which is very silly if you can't trust the basic system as it sits... So we instantly go to Sigalert(or traffic).com, and get a real time representation of what's head.

Gas prices come up with (I believe) the same frequency as movies - but really - why would you play with this function. It's also on the iPhone and Android - but $.04/gallon??? Useless.....

Kind of sad - since I have a Prius that does a decent job (on its NAV) with a XM subscription...

After using this feature (MSN) for months, i'd rate it at 90% useless (that's being nice). It can't be trusted, gives old data, is not granular (like real time traffic maps that even show carpool speeds), does not update regularly (movies, traffic, gas prices), and can't be trusted in general.

I've never seen anything in local events.

So in general, if you are thinking about this - even if you were Bill Gates, I'd not bother.

Really, it just wastes fuel (the added weight to the car) - Next time I open the dash, i'll be able to improve my mileage... Rant over.