AVIC411.com

Newbie Help Z110

Hello all,

I had my Z110 installed yesterday in my 2008 F150 Supercrew. Install is clean as was done by a well experienced installer(20+ years). So far I am not please with my purchase. Finding POI'S is very difficult compared to my $99 Garmin that I used to have.

First off, it will not find my OWN street. This is not a new street. Has been here for at least 5-7 years. I also can't look up shop names. Example: Larry's Pistol Shop. Again, shop has been there since the late 70's so it's nothing new. My Garmin would pick it up BEFORE I even finished entering the text. I had to Google the address and enter it manually in order to find it. Then save it as a favorite. My iPhone can do that alot quicker. Are there any tips/tricks to finding POI'S alot easier?

The DVD quality is great from the burnt DVD I played in it. +1 there.

Can I play a DVD from a SD Card? If so how?

I am also not getting any feedback from my USB connection. I have connected several USB components to this unit and have got nothing. It doesn't even highlight this option from the AV settings.

Again, any help would be apprecaited.

How do you get AVIC Feeds icon to work? It wont highlight. I already have it on my PC.

I did manage to change the Splash Screen! WOOHOOO..

So far, I am disappointed in this very expensive unit. I hope it is just my clouded brain or impatient attitude that is doing this.

POI searches will vary depending where you live... I live about 30 miles north of New Orleans, and I rarely have issues with POI searches.... Of course, the extremely few times I've used POI searches, it's usually for something very generic(WalMart...BestBuy...etc)... Unfortunately, I don't think you're doing anything wrong there... You could cross your fingers, spend $200 on the 120BT update, and hope they've updated your neck of the woods...

Playing anything from the SD Card is a PITA... doesn't really matter what kind of head unit you have...none of the manufacturers support every format... So you'll have to stick to something that it likes... It's not going to play DVD type format(TS)... But you would have to encode the video to a format that plays nice with the unit...AVI..DIVX...or some variant of h264....Check out page 135 in the manual.... Personally, I got it to work by just using an IPod template in Sony Vegas Pro-9.... which played and turned out good... But you are limited to 16GB on the Sd Card, whereas I have 64GB on my IPod... :?

When you're talking about USB components, you mean thumb drives? USB hubs and/or USB HDD's aren't supported... At least, there are only a couple that have just been lucky to get it to work... Thumb drives should work fine though... You might want to check your connection, and maybe try a reset... Are you using any type of extension wire?

I would use the IPhone for AvicFeeds.... seems more practical/easy that way... I've personally haven't tried it froma a PC...

I hope it is just my clouded brain or impatient attitude that is doing this.

Certainly sounds that way to me. Have you actually read your manual?

Finding POI'S is very difficult compared to my $99 Garmin that I used to have.

Make sure the unit is looking at your area and not some other city. however some POIs just are not going to be in the unit. This is the case with every navi made and is not exclusive to the unit you have.

First off, it will not find my OWN street. This is not a new street. Has been here for at least 5-7 years. I also can't look up shop names. Example: Larry's Pistol Shop. Again, shop has been there since the late 70's so it's nothing new.

Again, there are Garmins that wont find some streets and POI either, regardless of how long they have been there.

Can I play a DVD from a SD Card? If so how?

As dawgbone indicated, the vid must be encoded to play from the media. However this is not a "how do I encode video forum". Google is your friend on that one.

I am also not getting any feedback from my USB connection.

Well you have have a file on the drive.

How do you get AVIC Feeds icon to work?

Put a file on the SD card from the PC app. Info on how to do that is in your manual and on the help file from the app.

Thanks for the input there dawgbone.

I am starting to think there might be a connection problem with the thumb drive extension.

Let me clarify what I was saying in the other posts.

1. When I insert a thumb drive "adapter", I don't think it is recognizing it. As in, the USB emblem is not lighting up on the screen. The SD seems to be working fine until I do that.

2. As far as POI's, there are numerous streets(probably 7-10) that it would not find. I understand that all GPS units are different but I would think it would find the most common places such as Wal-Mart(the largest retailer in the world) when you look up Grocey Stores. It does list stores that are over 75 miles away while I live less than 1 mile from the nearest Wal-Mart. I haven't found a single POI by listing the name. Strange.

3. I know how to change video into certain formats. I never asked how.

4. Yes I know what state I am in and I am searching the proper one along with the city.

5. Yes, I am READING my manual as I do these things. I would not come here if I wasn't doing so.

I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for. From the reviews and opinions that I recieved about this unit, I was under the impression this was the "Flagship" of the GPS decks. I came to this forum for some help and not to be smirked at. I appreciate all the help to the users who provided it.

USB "Adapter" or SD Card Reader.

One more problem. When I connect my iPhone(using chargin cable), I have full control via the headunit but hear no sound.

I get perfect sound when using bluetooth but have no control via headunit.

I have a iPod adapter on order but coming from Hong Kong :(

I am assuming I should still get sound while the iPhone/iPod is hooked via the charging cable, but will not get video until I recieve the audio/video cable provided by pioneer. Correct?

Suggestions?

USB "Adapter" or SD Card Reader.

If you are using anything other the a USB drive (thumb drive) Its not going to work.

One more problem. When I connect my iPhone(using chargin cable), I have full control via the headunit but hear no sound.

I get perfect sound when using bluetooth but have no control via headunit.

I have a iPod adapter on order but coming from Hong Kong :(

I am assuming I should still get sound while the iPhone/iPod is hooked via the charging cable, but will not get video until I recieve the audio/video cable provided by pioneer. Correct?

Suggestions?

You assume wrong. Maybe you should do that search of the forum you said you did. And whatever cable you said you have on order likely wont work properly either if its a cheap Chinese knock off.

you obviously are not using the right ipod/usb cable. I thought i could cut corners when i bought this unit too but you cant, you have to buy the right cable or you wont be able to hear your ipod or use your usb device. Make the investment and go to bestbuy if you dont want to wait for china to ship you one.

VBLUE:

You are by far the worst Moderator I have ever seen on an Internet forum. You have offered nothing but insults to a new member who is asking question to issues that he/she does not understand. That is what this forum is for.

1. I never said I did a search of the forum. Go back and read.

2. I also knew I had to have a cable to use the iPhone/iPod. I simply asked if I could still use the audio function without it.

3. Also, a SD card reader is exactly a thumb drive with a removeable SD card..and YES it does work.

Due to your responses and YOURS only, I will no longer use this forum.

Thank you to all the other members who actually have something positive and helpful to say.

VBLUE:

1. I never said I did a search of the forum. Go back and read.

Yea my mistake, I got you confused with another noob that couldn't search the forum and help themselves a little.

Due to your responses and YOURS only, I will no longer use this forum.

Thank you to all the other members who actually have something positive and helpful to say.

Hey one less noob. Oh and your welcome for the tip on how to search walmart.