AVIC411.com

iPad 3G ATT data and the Z110BT

Jailbreak it and use Music Controls... sweet app... backgrounds the majority of the most popular radio apps, and shuts down IPod like it should(not real sure why Apple decided to background IPod(even if you pause the music)it's always running, sucking battery...until you reboot and/or jailbreak it and use 3rd party task managers<---Kirakae

And yes, for whatever reason IPod app sounds like hell over BT(no matter what head unit)..... Whereas other radio apps(Pandora, iheartradio...AOL radio) sound pretty awesome.... Someone should write Apple about that...

As for sound - I think iPad is not bad for general music - but on videos (DVD cut downs, iTunes 'movies') - the sound is not great at all... I'll have to try music again - maybe (likely) my memory is faulty. I thought Bluetooth was great sound...

Whatever you may think of VBlue's statements in other threads he's not being a jerk to you in this one. He explained the issue, but the answer wasn't what you were looking for so you kept ignoring it, even I can see that. Allow me to try:

There is no possible way Pioneer could have designed any part of their software 2+ years ago with the iPad in mind. Putting any kind of blame on them for this "problem" is just silly. Pioneer makes lots of stupid or otherwise incomprehensible design decisions but this isn't one of them. In any case, even if they did have access to the iPad, they still couldn't of gotten it to work like you want because:

The dock connector on the iPad does not work the same way as the dock connector on the iPod/iPhones. Hardware wise it's the same 30 pin connector they all use. Software wise the iPad does not allow remote control functions to be passed like they are for the iPhone/iPod. This is because Apple does not see the iPad as a device that should be used in that manner. You can rant about this decision all you like, plenty of people do, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

If someone "jailbreaks" the iPad one day (and plenty of people are trying to) then it's technically possible to hack around this limitation, assuming anyone wants to bother. That's neither here nor there because it's a certainty that Pioneer won't have anything to do with it, nor should they.

The iPad is not just a large iTouch. It is not just a large iPhone. There are several differences other than the screen size between them and this is one of them. Deal with it, because like it or not that's how Apple made it. And redirect your anger at Pioneer to something more constructive, such as why they left out auto-complete in their Nav again.

Vblue42 explained all of this but hopefully now that you are reading it from someone else it will get through.

Also I'm pretty sure he doesn't work for Pioneer and this isn't an official Pioneer forum, I only say that because a couple of things you wrote makes me think you believe both to be true.

So - the response from Customer service today stated the iPad should work via iPod cable (???). I'm following up with them further. They do show iPad is supported for AVIC Feeds on the Pioneer website.

We'll see what they come back with...

Thats different. AVIC FEEDS doesn't work through the dock connector.

Exactly.

Possibly I was not clear. Pioneer stated the iPad should work via the iPod connection.

Separately, I found it is currently supported via Bluetooth (Avic Feeds).

These are two separate things (direct connect support vs Bluetooth)

I talked with Pioneer today - offered up my iPad (they must be in the OC office) - at least they said they are getting one for testing, and would not need mine... I'll post when/if something comes of it...

In the mean time, there are others who have remotely connected an iPad to an iPhone 3G via miwi - then able to stream and control through that connection (possibly promising)...

• 1 month later...

Confirmed, the iPad does not work.

I just tried connecting my iPad using the iPod cable, it doesn't work...but hey, my kids enjoying having the iPad on their laps while watching their movies instead of the overhead screen, and I enjoy not listening to Toy Story for the 10th millionth time and listening to XM instead. No huge lost as far as I'm concerned.

• 3 months later...