AVIC411.com

auto dimming and 10/2007 override

My installer did the quick post-July mod on my Oct 07 Z1 - and that works fine. I can watch movies and icons are enabled etc during driving. However, the auto-dimming feature does not work. When I turn my lights on, the Z1 does not auto-dim.

Now, my installer says that this is due to the override that we did. I'm not sure that that makes any sense. Doesn't to me....

anyone have any thoughts? I haven't seen any posts to the contrary - that the autodimming on the Z1 is affected by the post-July override.

thx

dba

No that has nothing to do with it. The reason that doesn't work is because he didn't hook the Z1's ILL sense wire to your vehicles ILL wire (or the ILL wire he thought he hooked it to is not compatible). There is a wire somewhere in your car that if you hook the Z1 to it WILL auto dim. It might be right at the radio or might have to hunt it down. But it IS in there. Your installer just didn't do it or hooked it to the wrong wire. The bypass does NOT interfere with the auto dim.

1. Nice car!

2. Sorry, but I'm not really knowledgeable of specific cars to help you out. But I'm sure there are a people here who might be able to tell you what to pull on to pop that out (and most likely what wire to connect to for the ILL hookup). I would be afraid too. What I did was order the crutchfield instructions. They have pictures and instructions and it's $5 (free if you order something). You might want to ask your installed if he would hook it up. If you now know it's not the bypass and it's just a matter of hooking it up right, he might feel more inclined to actually hook it up.

oracledba, no disrespect intended here so don't take this the wrong way. I just find it really funny that alot of people get their Z1's installed professionally and then realize that the installer they just paid $100 to, either managed to forget to hook something up, didn't hook it up correctly, or just plain ignored your requests. Most of those people end up taking the Z1 back out themselves to fix the problem after receiving guidance from the forum.

You probably would have been better off doing the install yourself and you would have saved some cash. I'm guilty of it too. I paid a local installer $40 to make me a trim piece to fill the gaps around my Z1 in a Honda Pilot and it ended up looking like crap. The following week I ended up making one that looked 1000 times better. The good thing about your situation is that your installer obviously either hooked you ILL wire wrong or didn't hook it up at all and will probably fix it for free. Any reputable installer would do it for free if it was their fault.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here.

I have a 2004 Chev Silverado Duramax and ran in to the same problem. Some some reason, which I have not heard a decent suggestion why, the ILL wire that was used for the stock radio does not work for the Z1. I had to run a wire directly to the instrument light dimming knob and tap into it from there. I got the idea from another post on this forum who provided pictures and instructions on how he installed his Z1 in his silverado truck.

Maybe one of you savvy electronic guru's have a good explanation on they the stock wire is not compatible.

More curious than anything. My Z1 works perfectly the way it is.