AVIC411.com

04 f150 F700BT, Reverse camera question

So I installed this unit and just recently bought a camera off ebay, figuring that it would work...the box says it is a NTSC. I am pretty sure that its the same type that I stuck on my other car with a D3. Here is my problem, I got a power harness off ebay for the head unit, so some of the wires are not correctly labeled. I cannot find a pinout for this hardness, so instead of having the camera come on when in reverse, I figured I just use the "Rear View" button when needed. I tapped the power for the camera to the red 12v ign at the harness, grounded the camera to the frame, and hooked the video cable to the rear view camera RCA...all I get is a black screen with the warning about objects or something at the top. What am I missing??? Does the reverse input need to be hooked up??? The manual says you need to use their special lead wire, but I did not get one and don't want to fry the unit... Thanks.

The brown rca is the one it is connected to. I wish I had a diagram showing wire locations on the harness...I have been looking for a while, but no luck. Once I figure that out I will hook that reverse wire up. I thought it would work without it though. On the other hand, I should make sure the camera actually works.

I've connected my camera (PAL system, 900bt EU) two days ago and it works well. So video wire from camera is connected to brown wire in harness

http://cgi.ebay.com/pioneer-AVIC-700BT- ... 500wt_1154

Red camera wire to yellow wire from main unit harness, black to ground. Purple/white wire from unit to one of the reverse light wires so the unit switch automatically when you put on reverse gear. camera also works without connection to reverse wire. Check also the polarity of camera in main system options.

sounds like there is a problem with either the camera itself, or the input on the AVIC. to test this you just need something to hook up into the brown RCA (like a Xbox, playstation, or DVD player) if you get a picture on the screen then, there must be something wrong with your camera, if you still just get a black screen then there has to be something wrong wit the AVIC.

also even if the camera was not NTSC like the box said, something should still show up on the screen, you wont be able to see it right, as it will look all fukced up, but something would be one the screen.

I'm not sure about 700 model but in my 900 manual says that the purple/white wire has to be connected to reverse wire in you car.

that wire only needs to be connected for the avic to automatically switch to the camera source when vehicle is shifted into reverse, if every thing else is hooked up properly and working, then that wire shouldn't have to be hooked up

Red camera wire to yellow wire from main unit harness, black to ground.

if you have the camera's power wire, hooked up to the yellow wire from the pioneer's harness (unless the euro version of the harness and colors are different) then your camera is on and powered 24 hours a day. the yellow wire is the constant power wire (this wire has to have power to it all the time so that the unit doesn't forget all of its settings and the time). you should hook up the camera's power wire to the red wire from the AVIC, sine it the ACC wire for the car, it only turns on when the key is turned so that way the camera will be on every time the radio is on, so you can still use the camera with out being in reverse. and the camera wont be on 12/7 and draining your battery, this will also extend the life of the camera

Thanks!...I guess I will start with checking the camera, not sure how though...maybe the ground. If thats fine then the RCA. I remember now that I was actually sent the wrong camera for my D3 (I think it was a PAL) and the screen was just scrolling, but it still gave an image...it was fine after I hooked up the NTSC one.

• 3 weeks later...
So is it possible that the RCA could be bad on the head unit??? Is there any way to fix check this or fix it?

well it depends on what the actual problem is, it its with the RCA connector, then you can cut it off and just replace it. if it is a physical problem with circuit board or a software glitch, then repair will be much more difficult