AVIC411.com

Parking Brake Bypass w/AVIC U220

No, not a "total" bypass - I haven't come across anyone who's been able to bypass the accelerometer. This just fixes the video issue which is good enough for me right now. From what I've seen so far, the only functions that are unavailable when going over 10mph are some settings and anything requiring you to type on the keyboard. These functions do come back when you slow back down though, so when you stop at a light, even if the functions had been locked out, you can use them again.

Just a side note, I went through the rediculous process of updating the AVIC U220 with the POI's you get for registering and found out (through trial and error) that your SD card MUST be formatted as FAT32, not NTFS. The nav unit would not recognize my NTFS formatted card at all!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not a "total" bypass - I haven't come across anyone who's been able to bypass the accelerometer. This just fixes the video issue which is good enough for me right now. From what I've seen so far, the only functions that are unavailable when going over 10mph are some settings and anything requiring you to type on the keyboard. These functions do come back when you slow back down though, so when you stop at a light, even if the functions had been locked out, you can use them again.

Just a side note, I went through the rediculous process of updating the AVIC U220 with the POI's you get for registering and found out (through trial and error) that your SD card MUST be formatted as FAT32, not NTFS. The nav unit would not recognize my NTFS formatted card at all!

Got my email back from Pioneer within 2 days, and I put in my credit card info but the charge showed as $0.00, so I'd make sure you signed up for the right thing - sounds like you might have ordered something different.

I have a 2gb SD card in the nav unit (which you have to leave in it to be able to use the POIs) but I think you could use a 1gb card

I just ordered a 16gb SDHC card to leave in the head unit with music and a 16gb Lacie Moskeyto for the USB port to be used for video. I'll let you know if I run into any issues with either.

Right now I have a Lacinema rugged 500gb hard drive hooked up to the av input with ~500 movies and ~300 tv shows and it works fine, but I'd rather be able to control it all through the touch screen instead of the Lacinema's remote

Thanks to all who posted on this issue - it really helped me find a working solution. Here it is:

...but instead of just hooking it up as is (which uses the default function intended for Alpine head units) I programmed it to send a delayed output to a relay which grounds the parking brake. If you read the instructions included with the module, it's not that difficult: function #12 sets the module to send three separate timed outputs, but you only need 1. I set the time delay to five seconds and connected the input for the module to the power antenna line from the head unit and the time delayed output goes to the relay.

Happ999, would you happen to be able to provide a wiring schematic as to how you hooked it up? Did you remove the break bypass relay and hook up another relay? (i.e. "and the time delayed output goes to the relay.")

Thanks!

I did the AVIC-U220 bypass with a AVH-P5200BT. Here is a diagram of what I did. The colors correspond to the AVH-P5200BT but the wiring is still the same for other models (in case the colors are different)

I appreciate the diagram; I installed a U220 with an existing 3200BT. What I don't understand is the connector(?) with the numbers on it. You show the PAC unit and the AVH harness wire colors, but I don't understand the block in the upper left with the black, green, and red wires.

Is this a relay? If so would that already be in the installation, or would I need to purchase one. If I need to purchase, is there a model or part number you recommend?

I appreciate the diagram; I installed a U220 with an existing 3200BT. What I don't understand is the connector(?) with the numbers on it. You show the PAC unit and the AVH harness wire colors, but I don't understand the block in the upper left with the black, green, and red wires.

Is this a relay? If so would that already be in the installation, or would I need to purchase one. If I need to purchase, is there a model or part number you recommend?

Yes that's a relay. The one shown is a 5 pin relay but you can use a 4 pin relay as well. Basically the same except that there is no 87a. You can buy them from all sorts of places. It's a pretty standard relay. Don't need to worry about how many amps it will handle because you will be using it to ground.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062477

http://www.amazon.com/Tyco-Relay-SPDT-Formerly-Bosch/dp/B000P61E36

http://www.amazon.com/VDC-Automotive-Relay-SPDT-40A/dp/B0002KR9GG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296990698&sr=1-3

I believe you can also buy this relay from DEI with a timer circuit built in. This would mean that you wouldn't use the PAC.

http://www.amazon.com/Pulse-Timer-with-Spdt-Relay/dp/tech-data/B0009WP09K/ref=de_a_smtd

• 2 weeks later...

i have a pioneer-avh3200bt that has a bypass to watch movies while i drive.

11c195c3.jpg

i installed the navi add on yesterday and realized that when the navi started with the car it reactivated the brake sensor, disabling the ability to watch movies while the car was moving. so i had to make another bypass switch.

I noticed that if i started the car with the navi unplugged and then plugged it in, I could watch movies and have my navi features while the car was moving. so i made a on and off switch for my navi unit.

b44c3a84.jpg

c5d3c9db.jpg

now it works like a charm! {thumbup}

abec74f9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I have found a solution for the add on u220 using the same bypass as the DVD. I spent hours on it this past weekend and tried EVERYTHING. The issue is not the grounds from the unit. The bypass is already setup to ground itself. The problem is powering up. As I was trying every possible combination wiring wise on my harness, I started to think a different route. So I unplugged the Navi and the bypass worked fine. I left the bluetooth in and it still worked fine. So obviously the Navi was canceling the bypass somehow. What I began to think about was that since the add on modules have there own power and grounds, that they must power themselves up and send the signal to the head unit. So because the u220 must power up before/with the unit, then the error message appears because of the u220 being that it isnt bypassed after the unit turns on (same as the DVD). So my solution to that was to use the same concept as the DVD and wire the battery wire from the u220 with the remote wire of the head unit to the relay pin. Keep in mind I made my own relay out of a Bosch 12v relay (or similar). Since I have done that, everything works like a charm and as it should. No more error messages and and abnormal noises. As far as the grounds, I just tied them in with the other grounds.

Recap: Yellow Battery pinned with Remote Wire on homemade relay. Ground normally (via harness or chassis). The relays you buy on Ebay and such wont work because they are made for a finished look and I have yet to cut into one and see how they wire it together. But this concept will work if you feel you can modify it.

Hope this helps you guys.

i have a pioneer-avh3200bt that has a bypass to watch movies while i drive.

11c195c3.jpg

i installed the navi add on yesterday and realized that when the navi started with the car it reactivated the brake sensor, disabling the ability to watch movies while the car was moving. so i had to make another bypass switch.

I noticed that if i started the car with the navi unplugged and then plugged it in, I could watch movies and have my navi features while the car was moving. so i made a on and off switch for my navi unit.

b44c3a84.jpg

c5d3c9db.jpg

now it works like a charm! {thumbup}

abec74f9.jpg

So if i understand correctly.. U had the reg bypass then added a switch to ur yellow line to the navi unit?

I believe I have found a solution for the add on u220 using the same bypass as the DVD. I spent hours on it this past weekend and tried EVERYTHING. The issue is not the grounds from the unit. The bypass is already setup to ground itself. The problem is powering up. As I was trying every possible combination wiring wise on my harness, I started to think a different route. So I unplugged the Navi and the bypass worked fine. I left the bluetooth in and it still worked fine. So obviously the Navi was canceling the bypass somehow. What I began to think about was that since the add on modules have there own power and grounds, that they must power themselves up and send the signal to the head unit. So because the u220 must power up before/with the unit, then the error message appears because of the u220 being that it isnt bypassed after the unit turns on (same as the DVD). So my solution to that was to use the same concept as the DVD and wire the battery wire from the u220 with the remote wire of the head unit to the relay pin. Keep in mind I made my own relay out of a Bosch 12v relay (or similar). Since I have done that, everything works like a charm and as it should. No more error messages and and abnormal noises. As far as the grounds, I just tied them in with the other grounds.

Recap: Yellow Battery pinned with Remote Wire on homemade relay. Ground normally (via harness or chassis). The relays you buy on Ebay and such wont work because they are made for a finished look and I have yet to cut into one and see how they wire it together. But this concept will work if you feel you can modify it.

Hope this helps you guys.

So are you saying that with this mod you described done to your unit, you are now able to dial the phone on the screen, put in addresses and watch a DVD while you are driving? The homemade relay you used, is it just a 5 pin relay with pins labeled 86, 87, 87a, 85, and 30?

So are you saying that with this mod you described done to your unit, you are now able to dial the phone on the screen, put in addresses and watch a DVD while you are driving? The homemade relay you used, is it just a 5 pin relay with pins labeled 86, 87, 87a, 85, and 30?

This does not bypass the function that disables the address function while driving. This only allows you to bypass DVD and NAVI without using a switch or another relay. Everything works normally by doing this. However, I still cannot figure out how fully use my bluetooth and am not sure how to bring up the dial screen, so I am not sure if this bypasses it. I have never figured out how to do the bluetooth dial screen. Can anyone help me with that? Maybe this whole time the bluetooth options were limited because I never bypassed them, but either way, doing the same thing with the bluetooth power wire as the U220 wire will bypass bluetooth as well.