AVIC411.com

z1 bypass and update question

hey guys i have been out of the loop for a while now. please be patient with my questions.

i bought two of the original released z1 units. they were purchased months from each other so the manf dates are about 6 months apart. i think this was relevant to the bypass procedure at the time.

i had purchased a module bypass for one of them. it simulates my headlights flashing.

my second unit, i did some sort of wire switching in the rear of the unit. i really cant remember now. if i remember i could do this on the later unit and not the first unit (correct me if this is wrong). that is why i opted to not use this method on the first unit.

my question is.

on my first unit:

is there a free update?

will the update cancel out the bypass?

if there is, how is it done? link to instructions?

i am also wondering if there is a jumper wire bypass method available for the original first unit?

i kinda hate using the flashing module now. i have less room in the back of the stereo now cause of other stuff.

on the second unit:

is there a fee update available?

will the update mess up the bypass jumper i did many years ago?

any links would be appreciated.

For both units, update is here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9446

The two-wire bypass will need to be done when you update the first unit, that is located here: http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass

On the second unit, as long as you have the two-wire bypass done (if you are not using the flasher mod, this is the bypass you have) you don't need to do anything else, it will still work after updating.

thanks for the reply.

what is the difference between the old maps and the new one?

is there a more safer and easier way of updating, maybe like bluetooth it?

why doesnt pioneer have a cd that will let you just load it in there?

There is no other way to load the maps. Believe me, I've tried. :?

The difference in updates is firmware and maps. The very early Z1s had freezing issues at boot, and the VR absolutely stinks. The updates take care of issues like this. They also contain updated maps with more (and more accurate) POIs.

And Pioneer DOES have DVDs you can buy that will load the updates onto your unit, that's actually the conventional way of doing it.

That being said, the recommended way around HERE is to buy one of Garret's drives. This guy is a dynamo, I highly recommend you look into his service. I guarantee you won't be disappointed:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14915

Reviews and testimonies of his services are here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27833

oh yeah, thanks for the links, it helped me to start looking around here again like i used to.

i did read his sale post. very interesting, i did notice that his included maps is for the 2009 upgrade. according to pioneer's site there is a 2010 update. not sure if they are the same.

on his site he states that the hard drive he sends back is a z3. what does that mean to me, as i have a z1 unit?

are the maps really different from what i have and the update?

is the unit going to be faster just from the update?

is his hard drives bigger allowing more memory?

The HDDs Garret sells ARE bigger. The hardware for every Z, from Z1 to Z3, is exactly the same. The only difference is the software. This means, once you load an updated HDD like Garret's or one you update on your own, you will have a Z3.

There IS a 2010 update, I know Garret ordered one already so I'm sure he will be offering HDDs with that update applied to them very soon. If you want to wait for him to get that ready to go, it will be worth it I think.

The unit MAY be a little faster. I imagine Pioneer is updating their code along with these updates (I would hope they are). The maps don't look any different, but the locations are more accurate and Pioneer adds roads and buildings in as Teleatlas adds them to their databases.

i just called the support phone number and the guy on the line said that there is no update cd available to fix any echo bluetooth issues.

i was suprised for him to say this because there so much info about it on here.

also i further asked him if the navigation update cd will do anything else to fix the z1 boot up and he said no. the cd only gives the navigation a more precise location update.

by the time i asked what his name was he just hung up on my after i had waited for about 15 mins.

i had dialed 800-421-1404

then selection 2, 4, 2, 1, 1

i wanted the updated blue tooth cd sent to me but i guess he didnt know anything about it.