AVIC411.com

buy now or wait for z2

I think the D3 is coming out in a few months and the Z2 was not supposed to be out till early 2008 if I'm not mistaken (from the rumors I have heard). There are also rumors that Z1's will be upgradable to Z2 features, but I don't know how true those are.

That price seems ok.

Prices from Memory:

Z1: $1500

bluetooth adapter,: $100

ipod adapter: $50

wireless remote: $50

XM: $100

Parts : $1800 ish

installation: $300? (and you have to add in the harness and brackets)

Although the Z1 price is the lowest I saw it from any online retailer, they can go as high as $1900 - $2250.

If you count the price of the Z1 from crutchfield as $1900 then you are getting all that installed for $100 less than the price of the parts.

So if you were really resourceful you could find the parts for $1800 ish, but if you just ordered them from crutchfield, you would be paying $2200 for just the parts and you can get it for $2100 installed? It seems ok.

FYI--Pioneer says the Z2 will ship in April. There will also be a two disk upgrade that will turn your Z1 into a Z2. Not sure what the price will be on that, probably close to the $250 they have charged the past couple years for the upgrades. Also no way of knowing if the upgrade will complicate the current bypass method(s) so I would say go for the Z1 now and you can spend the $250 later after people have perfected a Z2 bypass

FYI--Pioneer says the Z2 will ship in April. There will also be a two disk upgrade that will turn your Z1 into a Z2. Not sure what the price will be on that, probably close to the $250 they have charged the past couple years for the upgrades. Also no way of knowing if the upgrade will complicate the current bypass method(s) so I would say go for the Z1 now and you can spend the $250 later after people have perfected a Z2 bypass

When I called Pioneer bout a week or so ago, they told me the same thing. Upgrade from Z1 to Z2 is software based.

Until I see it, it is all hearsay

They actually showed the SKU for the upgrade to our distributor already so I would say its a done deal. Just wish they could speed it along already

When I called Pioneer bout a week or so ago, they told me the same thing. Upgrade from Z1 to Z2 is software based.

Until I see it, it is all hearsay

Now THAT is a great question that I dont expect anyone to be able to answer on here. The guys at Pioneer could no trelease any informatoin as it hasnt been anounced yet. After CES expect a lot more details to be able to be released.

What will be the differences between the Z1 or Z2 besides updated maps?

There will be an S2 but the only thing I have heard is more built in memory on the portable so they can fit more POI/map info. Not sure about upgradability, price and release date. CES is next month though so hopefully it will be in their literature

Hey whtcrxghst, have you heard anything about the avic s2? Will the avic s1 be upgradable to the avic s2?