AVIC411.com

Pioneer X920 or Kenwood 6960

Anyone have any opinions?

I was just about to buy the 920, but then started reading this forum - problems with AV hiss - bad bluetooth reception audio - navigation unit not finding addresses..... is all of this the norm, or are most of you x920 / Z120 owners pretty happy?

My main use will be iPod, then Nav, then Bluetooth

The 'hiss' and Bluetooth reception problems concern me the most

I have the z110bt not updated yet, I love it! It is not perfect, but nothing is. I have no hiss and people say my voice sounds clear when I am talking on the bluetooth. I don't know about the Kenwood it sounds like a nice unit. I had an older Kenwood and it was not as Iphone friendly. I Do think the maps are not great on this 110 but they are better than what my 08 escalade stock unit has. Also no bluetooth streaming or voice recognition on Kenwood.

I sold my 6960 and got the Z110. The boot time on the 6960 was really slow. The interface was slow and navigating the menus was cumbersome. So slow speed and cumbersome, while driving is not a good thing. My wife and I are much happier with the Z110 and this is before I get the update.

I had the 6960 for a few days. Hated it. The multimedia interface was very cumbersome, nav was quite nice, but the iPod lists scrolling only showing 5 lines at a time on top of a small screen was a real pain. I had the Z110 last year sold it, then got the 6960 hated it and went back to an X710, and now have a 920 and even tried the Kenwood 7160. I got a killer deal on the 920 and love it. The nav can be annoying with lack of POI along route, but overall it gets you where you need to be, even if it does suggest a non-sense route. The multimedia section however is tops bar none. The coverflow was SLOOOOOWW on my Kenwood 7160 and the interface was terribly laggy outside of the Garmin portion.

The 920 is quick to boot up, quick interface, and VERY slick multimedia interface with gesture commands, plays files from mSD, and the Voice control for iPod has not given me any issue and is about 95% accurate for me.

I had the 6960 for a few days. Hated it. The multimedia interface was very cumbersome, nav was quite nice, but the iPod lists scrolling only showing 5 lines at a time on top of a small screen was a real pain. I had the Z110 last year sold it, then got the 6960 hated it and went back to an X710, and now have a 920 and even tried the Kenwood 7160. I got a killer deal on the 920 and love it. The nav can be annoying with lack of POI along route, but overall it gets you where you need to be, even if it does suggest a non-sense route. The multimedia section however is tops bar none. The coverflow was SLOOOOOWW on my Kenwood 7160 and the interface was terribly laggy outside of the Garmin portion.

The 920 is quick to boot up, quick interface, and VERY slick multimedia interface with gesture commands, plays files from mSD, and the Voice control for iPod has not given me any issue and is about 95% accurate for me.

what do you mean regarding "the lack of POI along route..." - surely you can insert a POI, like a Starbucks for example, after you've begun a longer route, can't you? That would be goofy if you couldn't. Seriously?

Also, do you use Bluetooth?

You can insert a POI and add multiple destinations. What I mean is when you have an active route, you can not look up POIs that are specifically only off exits that you will be passing. You only look up POIs that are near a destination or near your current position.

OK, define "near" - 10 miles, 20 miles, 50 miles?

thanks

The feature that is missing that every other navi including older Pioneer units is "POI Along Route".It will let you do a "Vicinity" search but it will not isolate POI along your route of travel. This has been a big complaint about the navi in the 110/120/920 line for over a year now.

The feature that is missing that every other navi including older Pioneer units is "POI Along Route".It will let you do a "Vicinity" search but it will not isolate POI along your route of travel. This has been a big complaint about the navi in the 110/120/920 line for over a year now.

Are you allowed to look for POI's "near" a different location (I think that's what Garmin calls it)?

For example, I'm in Los Angeles heading north, and I want to search for POI's near Fresno

You will need to search near that city. But the unit will constantly be looking near that city the next time you use your unit until you tell it to look in your local area. It will not default to your currant location the next time you use it. This is a problem because you constantly have to hold the unit's hand to get it to do what it should already do on its own. The reason this is so aggravating is because by the time you use the unit again, you have forgotten that you had it look in a different location before. Therefor it will fail to find what you are looking for in your area. Honestly, if navi is what you are looking for, these units are probably the least desirable.