AVIC411.com

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD (Classic Body) AVIC-Z1 Install

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
That is correct sir. I had a 2004 Silverado before this, and it was nearly identical except for the steering wheel plug.

do you remember which wire it was exactly on your 04 for the steering wheel controls? I see too many light green wires around the steering column, i don't want to tap into the wrong one! if i could find my multimeter, i'd figure it out, but i guess it need pointing in the right direction! thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Attach the iPod Adapter to the XMNavTraffic Module:

This next step is fairly simple. I used the provided Velcro strips to tether the iPod Adapter to the XM Module.

Once this is done I suggesting attaching all the wiring, including the IP bus cables. BE SURE YOU DON’T CONNECT the red wire to either the XM or iPod modules, if you use an IP Bus cable it is not necessary to connect the red ignition wire. I’ve attached a photo of the finished product.

Lastly, attached the factory antenna connector to the XMNavTraffic Module. Be care to shave off the extra rib on the XM Module Male connector to accommodate to factory connector…

How did you determine not to hook up the red power wire? I installed my as the instructions listed and am not having any type of problems.

You say your truck is a "classic" body. Is that the same as 2005? Do you have the 3 wire xm/onstar antenna?

I want to get the same antenna as yours if the sheet metal is the same. Then I know the contour on the roof seal will be the same.

Thanks Jay

well what i mean by classic is that its factory or the same as most of the body styles. but i found in another post on here for the kinda same type of set up as mine and yours. that the guy did not use it. and i works fine. you have power from the ip bus cable. that i think acts like a remote wire does. with the yellow being the main power to the unit to save your setings. so yeah it works fine. now for the factory antenna you will have to mod it a little to get it to fit in the xm but it works as well. so just let me know if that answers everyting

So, I am going to be installing a Pioneer AVHP4000DVD in my 01 GMC Fullsize,

I know I will have to do some dremeling behind the head unit, and if I am correct, maybe some slight trimming/relocating of the a/c controls. Will I just need to get the 03+ dash surround part to make it look right when finally installed in the dash?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

• 5 months later...

Will this fit on a 2007 GMC 1500? I searched on crutchfield and they said it would not fit. Also, what did you use to surround the Z1 when replacing the factory audio controls? I looked on your parts list but it did not say..did the Z1 just come with a pre existing dash kit that fit?

• 1 month later...

yes it will fit.

Do me a favor.....DO NOT USE T-TAPS. T-taps are possibly one of the worse electrical connectors you can use. Only the lazy use them because its 'easier'. T-taps can not provide a good contact due to the limited amount of surface contact. They are extremely low current, and add more resistance to the circuit.

Instead, strip the wire back that you need to tap, strip approx 1/2 inch of the wire you need to connect, poke a hole in the wire you need to tap, insert the aftermarket wire in the hole, then wrap, and pull a bit to tightened it into a 'knot'. Then tightly wrap with premium electrical tape.

For the best connection, solder and tape, or solder and shrink wrap.