AVIC411.com

Z2 with broken screen. Options?

I was installing a Z2 for a customer (that luckily was my cousin) and broke the screen. This was going in a new Explorer with very little room behind the radio. As I was holding the head unit up to the mounting holes, I removed 1 hand to get the screws and when I did, my thumb pressed too hard on the screen and it cracked. Not only did it crack the glass, but the LCD is busted too.

I found a couple places that repair these, but they're saying $500. United Radio said "send $175, we'll give you a quote, then if you don't fix it, we'll refund $110", or something like that. Basically, I need to weigh the options whether or not to repair this one or buy him something different.

I can buy the LCD module for $286 from Pioneer, and I may be able to repair it myself. I've got most of it apart except for the screen. The harness is still in the Explorer so I cant get the unit powered up at the moment.

The other option is to buy them a u310BT. We've discussed that option and it's okay with him because it's for his daughter and he isn't concerned with not having DVD capabilities.

DSC_9105.jpg

DSC_9106.jpg

Don't have the harness, it's still in the vehicle that's not here. I did try to power it up on the workbench, but not sure if I had the right pins. Couldn't find a very good picture anywhere. I used the black plug, top and bottom pins on the inside (top for 12V and bottom for ground), also used the 3rd pin from the inside for ignition. Tried that with power on top, then power on bottom, neither seemed to work. I may call them to get the harness tomorrow.

Don't have the harness, it's still in the vehicle that's not here. I did try to power it up on the workbench, but not sure if I had the right pins. Couldn't find a very good picture anywhere. I used the black plug, top and bottom pins on the inside (top for 12V and bottom for ground), also used the 3rd pin from the inside for ignition. Tried that with power on top, then power on bottom, neither seemed to work. I may call them to get the harness tomorrow.

See attached power pinout. If you sent 12V+ to the wrong pins, you may have fried something internally. All the pins you tried are speaker connections...

post-8105-073955200 1289594349_thumb.png

vblue at first glance I didn't think he'd broken the LCD either but after looking closer, I think he did. See that discoloration in the center of the screen?

jonyb, definitely try to get it powered up to confirm whether the LCD is broken or not, you could save some serious cash if it isn't.

vblue? I think it's time the Captain gets new goggles!

Pioneer quoted me around $500 for repair. I'd rather buy something else then spend that much money on this head unit.

I tried to open the screen yesterday and the eject button is messed up and it wouldn't open. I'm gonna try to dig it out and see if I can get to the board to get it open.

Do you guys know if the LCD module that they sell for $286 comes with the complete faceplate? Any other recommendations?

• 1 month later...

does anyone have instruction on changing the glass touch panel on the avic z2 if so please send me a link or just the instruction i have order the glass already i am just trying to replace the glass and my radio should be as good as new

Download the service manual and you will find the instructions in in:

http://kightlinger.net/files/personal/car/documents/AVIC%20Z2%20Unit/Manuals/AVIC%20Z2%20-%20Service%20Manual.pdf