AVIC411.com

MICROPHONE QUESTION

I know we have all talked about this, but I was wondering if anyone with a GM product has tried using the Onstar microphone?? More specifically "splicing" into it and using it for both onstar and avic? I did a search and did not see any posts about it being done like this.

That sounds like an exceptionally bad idea. Could blow out both systems. If not, the impedance would be all wrong. Never heard of two audio drivers using the same mic wired in parallel (or serial).

OTOH, go ahead and tell us how it works out for you :mrgreen:

That sounds like an exceptionally bad idea. Could blow out both systems. If not, the impedance would be all wrong. Never heard of two audio drivers using the same mic wired in parallel (or serial).

OTOH, go ahead and tell us how it works out for you :mrgreen:

Pardon my ignorance; I wasn’t aware that you needed to be an electrician or an installer to be on this forum. Obviously, I do not know much about these things (which is why I posted the question in the first place); I wasn’t sure if a “splitter†like used for headphones would work going the opposite direction. I believe you answered that question for me, thank you. Furthermore, I am quite certain there are many subjects that I know more about than you (common courtesy as an example), but I would not post such rude responses to someone looking for assistance.

Pardon my ignorance; I wasn’t aware that you needed to be an electrician or an installer to be on this forum. Obviously, I do not know much about these things (which is why I posted the question in the first place); I wasn’t sure if a “splitter†like used for headphones would work going the opposite direction. I believe you answered that question for me, thank you. Furthermore, I am quite certain there are many subjects that I know more about than you (common courtesy as an example), but I would not post such rude responses to someone looking for assistance.

I am not an electrician or an installer and I was not being rude. Maybe a little flippant :mrgreen: .

You need to lighthen up dude.

But if I go posting questions like "which side does the fork go on" on the Miss Manners board, you go ahead and chide me. OK?

I am not an electrician or an installer and I was not being rude. Maybe a little flippant :mrgreen: .

You need to lighthen up dude.

But if I go posting questions like "which side does the fork go on" on the Miss Manners board, you go ahead and chide me. OK?

Thank you for proving my point for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same question... it would be convenient to be able to use the factory installed onstar microphone for my f700bt instead of finding a place to install the pioneer mic and run the cable. I no longer use onstar at all, so no need to split the mic to do 2 duties.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone think this is at all possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, breathe deeply here... There are other forums with more tolerant responders but there are good people here and a lot of good information.

Interesting that you bring this up because this idea crossed my mind just the other day. If I can find it again I saw a picture of Tahoe (or a truck) with the center overhead console removed and the mic was clearly shown. I don't remember if there was a connector or not for the mic. Most mics are high impedance so it might work, but putting mics in parallel definitely affects the mic impedance the HU sees and would most likely degrade performance. I was considering moving my Pioneer mic inside the overhead console also. In my case the Pioneer mic works fine where it is near the mirror, it was not hard to route and I don't know if I want to fix what is not broken. I will post the picture if I can find it.