AVIC411.com

lights are on, but no one's home

hey guys, im having a rather sudden and strange issue with my F700. yesterday i decided to wash my engine bay (covered the essentials, unplugged the battery and left it open for the sun to dry it, didnt even plug the battery back in for hours) and everything is showing signs of nothing awry... cept my deck. it's lighting up the buttons (eject, menu, map and the knob) but the screen never turns on, then after about 30ish seconds even the buttons go blank. if i press the little reset button and it'll do that again, but no matter what, it just isnt firing up. i've checked the little 10fuse behind the wire harness and the fuse in my engine bay for the radio, and no signs of blown fuses... so i have noooo idea what to make of this.im still looking through the many, but i doubt it'll be of much help with this issue

could it be something blew out internally? might it be replaceable? do i have to start combing the interwebs for a new deck?

P.s. it was working 100% fine before the engine wash...

so any and all help from you guys will be greatly appreciated, so thanks for your time and attention

can either of you guys get into testmode?

no can do. tried it when it gave me that problem. turned the car off, popped in the testM SD card and same results. luckily my wife has the same HU and to make sure it wasnt something in the wiring or anything like that, i plugged my HU into her car (with all her wiring and everything) and same results, plugged her's back in and it booted up perfectly fine and dandy so it's definitely something IN the HU

UPDATE: I've been working on this problem for hours now, and cannot seem to upgrade WindowsCE. I have tried various versions of the winceimg.bin and winceimg.cks files, including ones downloaded from the Pionner website for Firmware version 2.0060.

I finally decided to poke around a little bit in the Service Mode of my F90BT. After performing each of the tests, I found where my problem might be.

After selecting the UBoot Test, results immediately displayed "bad/ press any key to continue". Now on to some more research and hopefully a solution to a newly discovered problem.

So apparently the uBoot upgrade is not something that's been done??? Searched everywhere and I'm coming up empty. Can't find anyone who's upgraded uBoot. Also, can't find the necessary files to do so (uboot.bin and uboot.cks). I did find the service manual for the F900BT though:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16873730/Pioneer-Avic-f900bt

The document shows a simple procedure for updating uBoot as found on page 86 (sec 6.3) of the document:

UBOOT Upgrade

1. Copy the Uboot files named as “uboot.bin†and “uboot.cks†to the SD/MMC card

2. Inset SD/MMC card to the Main Unit at first, then enter the Uboot interface.

3. Select ““3=UBOOT Upgrade†item in Uboot menu, then select ““1=UBOOT by SD/MMC†item

in “UBOOT Upgrade†menu and execute.

I have reached the limit of my knowledge and experience with the unit. Can anyone give me some advice before I give up and send it to Pioneer?

So apparently the uBoot upgrade is not something that's been done??? Searched everywhere and I'm coming up empty. Can't find anyone who's upgraded uBoot. Also, can't find the necessary files to do so (uboot.bin and uboot.cks). I did find the service manual for the F900BT though:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16873730/Pioneer-Avic-f900bt

The document shows a simple procedure for updating uBoot as found on page 86 (sec 6.3) of the document:

UBOOT Upgrade

1. Copy the Uboot files named as “uboot.bin†and “uboot.cks†to the SD/MMC card

2. Inset SD/MMC card to the Main Unit at first, then enter the Uboot interface.

3. Select ““3=UBOOT Upgrade†item in Uboot menu, then select ““1=UBOOT by SD/MMC†item

in “UBOOT Upgrade†menu and execute.

I have reached the limit of my knowledge and experience with the unit. Can anyone give me some advice before I give up and send it to Pioneer?

wow... seems you're getting more progress than i have, thing i dont get though, from what you're saying, your's MIGHT have something to do with your trying to upgrade whereas mine is who the hell knows what. i have the EXACT same setup in mine and my wifes and mine just decided to go kaput after washing my engine bay. i think later when i get a chance, im gonna try and see if i can go into service mode (or whatever its called) to run the upgrade process of WinCE. cus i think if i can do that, maybe something in the system got corrupted and if i cant, i'll chalk it up to fried hardware :(

this seriously sucks, and looks like you and I are left to fend for ourselves Trevor

this seriously sucks, and looks like you and I are left to fend for ourselves Trevor

I was surprised to hear from anyone about the issue. I'm sure w4rh4wk will be on within the next couple days. Until then, I have a bit more background info.

Recently I have had a few other electrical problems that seem to be caused by rodents stealing material from the insulation near the firewall. A few dash lights have come on recently and I discovered that my avic was not getting ground unless the antenna [adapter] was plugged in. Upon further investigation, I realized that my factory wiring harness (which has never been cut) was not getting ground at all. This problem may somehow relate to your problem with water in the engine compartment - who knows...

Since then I have run a new ground wire along my factory wiring harness and the avic is now fully grounded. Problem still not solved though. (Crossing my fingers someone has an explaination). No idea if this was even the root of the problem.

Good luck to you, and I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...