AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z Silverado Install and DVD drive shot!!!

Ok I picked up my unit used for a pretty good price... Checked it out radio works and GPS worked so I was pretty satisfied.. Hooked it all up in my truck and tried out the DVD, well "nonreadable disc" pops up.. Well I already pretty much knew that meant.. There is something wrong with my player.. Tried to clean that didn't work... So now I gotta look around for another DVD player so I can do the swap or take it to pioneer and see if they will cover it under warrenty and if not then see how much they will charge me for the DVD player and work... I already know how to replace the DVD player it's really easy.. Problem is I don't know the cost of the DVD player replacement.. If I can get it at a decent price (ebay or pioneer or here) then the deck is still worth it considering what I paid.. If it is alot more then well it will piss me off cause then it won't be worth it... So hopefully I get a decent deal.. I can deal without the CD's anyhow.. I will listen to my XM... Anyone got a DVD drive for sale??

One thing is the GPS supose to give me a reading of the KM while I am driving even if the VSS isn't hooked up??? I don't recall seeing it when I was going for a quick drive around the block... GPS antenna is under my dash not installed on the roof...

Now for the install questions hopefully I get some Silverado owners in here.. Specfically my general year model of 2005 non bose....

I assume the VSS hookup will be taken from the cluster (shouldn't this be on the wiring harness if I have the auto volume on stock deck)???? The illumination (I thought that was on the harness) from the HVAC or Light switch??

Also I have the Metra install kit for my truck.. I heard it was a good dash mounting kit so got it... Now I cut the plastic out from the back from what was posted on here from one member.. But it seems like either A) the metra kit is a bad kit or B) More plastic back there is forcing the back of the deck on a downward slope because the front of the deck JUST clears the seperator between HVAC and Radio. When it opens you can hear it grazed a little bit of the plastic.. It needs to be center a little more inside the dash opening..So anyone else have a problem with the Metra kits or the Silverado plastics?

On a side note.. My shifter in the truck seems to have been in the way of the side of my screen.. Freeplay in the gear shifter.. So I just push it with my hand hard and bent the handle a little bit. Seems to have works just was being careful wouldnt wanna snap my gear shifter.. Anyone else had this problem? I don't know why there is that freeplay in mine when it's in park...

Anywaz hope to hear a little input

thanks

Yeah eBay for harddrive I will. With the feedback and "power seller" I trust then. They don't get those feedback and titles for nothing. Plus warranty on the drives plus they are the same drives Garret sells. I just don't see what the different is between the feedback Garret gets and the feedback that these power sellers get. They both are coming from buyers. How long is Garret's warranty??

This purchase was made outside of eBay on a different selling site all together. I blame myself for not checking the cd when I met with him. On the plus side of things it won't cost much. The motor seems to me like it has gone as the laser will not move back ane forward from what I gather taking the cd player apart. So after it's fix I am still in the price range of what they sell used. It just means I didn't get as good of a deal, but atleast I will have a working deck.

The point is you don't really know what you're getting untrusted sources. Of course there really is no way to get a Z3 new so you had no choice there. But there is a choice on your next purchase. You can either go trusted or gamble. Regardless good luck to you.

Ok so repair cost is $550 unit price after selling cd changer player cost is $450. So is $1000 into a used Z2 worth it??? I wouldn't be upgrading after this deck for a very long time

I don't know much I would get from it broken. If I got say $200 for it broken then I am out $250 plus having to buy a new deck (I wouldn't go screen just a normal deck). So I am out $250 plus new deck costing say $300/400. So now $650

The problem is pioneers parts are alot. I don't wanna be way out. I hate having to spend money on this but at the same time I gotta eat up my mistake and move forward. So my options are spend $550 to get it fixed or spend $300/$400 on new deck mr try to get whatever I can for this broken one

Any thoughts???

1K over all cost for a unit that is 5 plus year old technology is something I don't think you should even be considering. I know you got this thing used but you cant just send it back? Anyway, good luck with whatever decision you make and I hope you will be more careful in the future when buying from untrusted sources. A Z120BT would be a good unit to look into and you don't have to worry about which trusted/untrusted seller to get an upgrade drive from.

Ok I know you don't like ebay... but I heard someone on the board here that someone on ebay can service these.. He said his got fixed for $100 (for the laser etc..) so I look up service repair on ebay and I came up with these different people selling service.. They seem to have good feedbaak and 1 year warranty on work and parts..

I know you probably gonna say you don't trust it.. and I know your sending your machine to someone in hopes it will come back to you.. I think there is protected on ebay etc.. for things like this..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Repair-Fix-Service-Pioneer-AVIC-D1-D2-Z1-Z2-Z3-D3-/180597042919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c6c2ee7

Well in your situation that is probably your best option at this point if you cant return the unit from whom you purchased it from. My point is don't buy items like this from untrusted sources like eBay and such in the first place and you wont end up in this situation. Good luck to you however.

Ohhh ya I know my lesson.

If buying from unttrusted sources make sure check EVERYTHING or buy from trusted source lol

Def need to research things before making online purchases etc...

Hopefully I get can get this fix for $125 like quoted (could be $190 depending on what needs to be done). Either way if I can get away with unit cost me about $650 all fix and working I will be happy. Because I see them sell used around me for $600-800.

• 2 months later...