AVIC411.com

want to upgradeto hard drive based headunit

I have a avic d3 and want to upgrade to a hard drive based headunit i was looking AVIC-X920BT ,AVIC-Z3 ,

AVIC-Z120BT. please give input but the headunit must be able to have ipod/iphone controls and be able to watch videos from them..

The Z120-BT and X920-BT are not hard-drive based, and I don't think the Z3 is either. What do you need the HD for? On these units, the maps, OS, and applications are stored in non-volatile NAND (4GB). You can store media files on either/or an SD card or a USB jump drive (not HD). I use the ipod interface for my songs and videos most of the time.

I really dont think you want a hard-drive based system. They are not that good in a moving vehicle and are subject to head crashes. Solid State is the way to go.

• 1 month later...

I went from AVIC-D2 to AVIC-Z110BT. HUGE difference. The touch screen is more responsive. There is .5" bigger screen. It takes USB/SD with an ipod interface and plays video (My d2 did not). Built in 4GB flash memory for nav (versus having a DVD-ROM nav disc). Too many additions to list.