AVIC411.com

XM Nav Traffic and Sat. Radio antenna placement

Guys do u use the original adapter made by pioneer that is $200 for this or is there something aftermarket that is cheaper available?

Also where did you mount you antenna? Both GPS and the XM one? My installer says its okay to mount both inside the vehicles underneath the front dash and says it will work great. Any opnions? Where should I ask him to install these things to? Thanks
Original adaptor is the only one for traffic. Not sure I would put anything satellite based "under" the dash. I have my GPS antenna on the dash, and my xm antenna on the roof. Both work great

[quote name="maxse"]Guys do u use the original adapter made by pioneer that is $200 for this or is there something aftermarket that is cheaper available?

Also where did you mount you antenna? Both GPS and the XM one? My installer says its okay to mount both inside the vehicles underneath the front dash and says it will work great. Any opnions? Where should I ask him to install these things to? Thanks[/quote]
Obviously the best place for a nav antenna would be on the roof of the vehicle, however this is not always the easiest place to install nor does it accent the look of a vehicle with an unsightly wire. You can install a nav antenna under any dashboard that doesn't have metal in it, and it will work fine. The other route is to use a factory or aftermarket drill in type antenna as in the GM, Audi or VW vehicles. I purchased a couple of the GM 3 band antennas(XM, GPS and cellular) and installed them, the only catch is you need wire extensions for the portion of the antenna that you want to use. They looked awesome once installed, you can find them at [url=http://www.gmpartsdirect.com]www.gmpartsdirect.com[/url], you need two part numbers: Base 25773456 $88.19 , $176.39 list, Mast 25758073 $7.55 , $15.09 list. Then all you need are some extensions(contact me, I can custom cut you any length of RG-174 with the correct connectors attached)and you'll be all set!
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest guest
You will find that your navi antenna will work much better if you have it installed on metal. (this is why it comes with the metal square in the box) The antenna actually recieves signal from the relection into the bottom of the antenna. You will also find that if it is a xm nav traffic antenna you will want to find a way to mount it outside on the roof. It is also important not to mount the gps antenna and the xm antenna within 6 inches of each other or they will see ghost signals and your xm and gps signal will degrade. For the best antenna placement use the connections status screen and the xm status screen. you should get signal from all 8 satelites, and a very strong rating on the xm.
Does anyone know where i can get the waterproof tabs so i do not get water in my trunk.......i run both the xm and nav antenna from the front of my car to the trunk and put it on top of the trunk but when it rains i get water in my trunk..............I lost the one that comes with the avic-z1.......pls help
I have the XM antenna in my Cobra mounted to a metal brace under the dash and behind the radio. It gives me excellent reception. I've taken it through some pretty desolate territory and in some tall buildings and the only time I've ever lost reception is in a tunnel, etc. Don't believe all the crap you read about it having to be outside the car.