AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 -> Win Xp Emulator

Has anyone seen an emulator that can run the windows automotive software from the Z1 unlocked harddrive on a windows XP machine?

I specifically would like to see how it runs and make a few changes.

I there is an aviliability of the Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0 developers .net package. but besides that i have not seen anything.

Ok I did a little homework on this and found out the following:

To develop Windows Automotive 5.0 you need to do the following:

1. Obtain if you dont have one already a genuine Copy of Windows Operating System.

2. call a distributor that sells Licensing for Windows Automotive 5.0 and get them to send you a CLA (Corporate License Agreement) fill it out and return it to them.

3. Order Windows Automotive 5.0 (XPE - windows XP Embedded License) for $77.00.

This will allow you develop windows Embedded UI. Windows Automotive 5.0 comes with an advanced feature to allow people with no programming experiance to develop User Interfaces. Now I dont know if it is possible to look at the AVIC software and make changes to it yet but I Will keep you filled in. Also keep in mind any changed I make to my own AVIC-Z1, I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT release to the public. This is due to the license agreements based on the CLA. I can only tell you what i did so you can make the choice to do it yourself.

Very interesting. I would think that once it's compiled it would be tough to take pioneer's compiled code and modify it. It's not like the put their source on the drive itself. But then again, they did put this girl's picture on the hard drive:

http://www.sminntech.com/HITO1.JPG

:)

Let us know what you figure out. Seems like an interesting project.

I expect that i will have to build my own applications myself from scratch. In the Manufacturing world when you make applications like this they usually come in two forms the compiled form ( EXE) and the source file this s done so that no one can modify the original with out the Source Code (KEY) I only expect that i will be building my applications from the ground up. The intresting part of this is the claim of Microsoft that a person without programming exp can build a UI, using thier AUITK tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomot ... aq.mspx#q1

So I intend to put this to the test. Plus the idea that the dev kit only costs 77 bux is a plus. I will, and I hate to admit it, be tearing my GPS unit apart to identify Basic system properties, and the USB interface. There are many questions to be answered. How would I load the applications into the unit itself from ROM / HD etc? Also what are the possibilities of multiple application options from startup? Then there is the idea of skins and themes for the unit as a whole so it will more redaily match your dash or interior... the list goes on.

Anyone else who wishes to help on this project is most welcome to join.

It seems that as long as you sign the CLA from microsoft your eligable to order your own copy of the XPE. I will keep you guys posted if anything comes up. For the moment I am awaiting my CLA to arrive in the mail.

Hey, if you ever get going on this, what would be really cool would be to be able to read PDFs on the AVIC. So, suppose you enter a CD with a PDF file (or files), it would run adobe reader and allow you to navigate around the file(s) using the touch screen.

I have my shop manuals on CDs in PDF format and thought how much easier it would be to read it off the AVIC's screen rather than printing out the page(s) that I need.

All it might take is a small piece of software that would intercept the CD before the pionneer gets it and then runs a PDF viewer if the CD contains PDFs otherwise, it would let the AVIC do it's thing.

"All"! Yeah, no problem. Shouldn't take you more than 1/2 hour! tops! :)

Well, put it on the "wishlist"

I expect that i will have to build my own applications myself from scratch. In the Manufacturing world when you make applications like this they usually come in two forms the compiled form ( EXE) and the source file this s done so that no one can modify the original with out the Source Code (KEY) I only expect that i will be building my applications from the ground up. The intresting part of this is the claim of Microsoft that a person without programming exp can build a UI, using thier AUITK tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomot ... aq.mspx#q1

So I intend to put this to the test. Plus the idea that the dev kit only costs 77 bux is a plus. I will, and I hate to admit it, be tearing my GPS unit apart to identify Basic system properties, and the USB interface. There are many questions to be answered. How would I load the applications into the unit itself from ROM / HD etc? Also what are the possibilities of multiple application options from startup? Then there is the idea of skins and themes for the unit as a whole so it will more redaily match your dash or interior... the list goes on.

Anyone else who wishes to help on this project is most welcome to join.

It seems that as long as you sign the CLA from microsoft your eligable to order your own copy of the XPE. I will keep you guys posted if anything comes up. For the moment I am awaiting my CLA to arrive in the mail.

Man, does this ever sound interesting. I'd be on board real quick if I could hope to be successful without having any programming experience.

Does anyone know what Pioneer charges for a programmed replacement HDD in case things go south? Has anyone been successful formatting the HDD and then putting previously save content back on it? 8)

Yeah, i believe Ducatiboy has done that after a failed HD i dont remeber the exact thing he did to get the failure but i know he was able to restore his drive with an image and then everything was ok BTW i love Acronis!

Here is a little tutorial on the subject of Win CE 5.0 Embedded programming.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/gets ... wincebasic

• 1 month later...