AVIC411.com

sd card reading issues

wut is the deal wit the units ability to understand sd cards.

i placed a number of movies on an sd to save space on my ipod...like 8

i've converted the movies to several different formats and MAYBE 2 of them will be understood by the unit.

the rest i get 'tracks that cant be played will be skipped'

anything in particular i need to be aware of??

You MIGHT get lucky and download a video file in .AVI that will work on the screen... Literally by LUCK I uploaded a few to see if my downloaded movies (with no conversions) would play on the screen and a few worked (most did NOT). BUT the sticky thread above will show you the format that the video actually has to be in. The conversion method in the sticky works, but it is a long and arduous process. Your best bet is getting an ipod and downloading .mp4 video's (the only format Apple iOS devices will take for video). I have rooted/jailbroken iPad with the VLC app with uploaded AVI format movies, and with TVOut (Cydia app), I think I might be able to get other formats (other then mp4) to play... unfortunately I just thought of this and i'm out of town without my vehicle, but when I get home i'm going to test it... Might be a workaround for movies if you have an iphone... the SD card way works, but IMO it is a pain in the ass. Wasted a whole day converting movies for my SD card and half didn't work (this was before the stickied thread).

• 3 weeks later...

wut is the deal wit the units ability to understand sd cards.

i placed a number of movies on an sd to save space on my ipod...like 8

i've converted the movies to several different formats and MAYBE 2 of them will be understood by the unit.

the rest i get 'tracks that cant be played will be skipped'

anything in particular i need to be aware of??

I'm sure your media card is functioning. I think your issue is either your media has DRM restrictions (google it!!), or the vids are not in the correct format.

The SD media player is very picky with file formats. The EASIEST way to get videos to play on your system try this YOUTUBE method

1) Go to YOUTUBE (duh)

2) Search and launch any video you desire

3) Copy the URL of the video from the YOUTUBE address bar

4) Go to either Keepvid.com or Savevid.com

5) Paste the previously copied URL into the URL box

6) Select the "MP4" file format (only this format will work with Z110/Z120)

7) Select your SD card as the file destination

Repeat steps to get another video

Keep in mind, some of the OFFICIAL music videos will have DRM restrictions and you would have to convert them with DRMBuster or some other program. This is tedious but it is currently the only way to get around the restriction.

If there is no DRM restriction, the video quality of the saved videos is amazing on the Z110/Z120.