AVIC411.com

No Sound at all in D1!!

• 7 months later...

homedog329, any joy fixing that problem?

I have the same issue with my N1 (a day or two after installing the latest software). All sound went dead, but no beeps or even static. Nothing out of the RCA outputs either. I've used a multimeter to check for shorts to ground or +12V on the speakers and they are OK. I've also measured the resistance across the terminals on the plug for each set of speakers to check if they had blown (no problem... 3-4 Ohms each).

I haven't yet disconnected the speaker cables and connected an external speaker, but that's my next job. I don't really want to try downgrading the software just yet, in case that causes further problems.

There is a company advertising on ebay to fix N1's with this problem (the same company that I got a replacement ribbon cable from, so I believe that they know what they are doing), but I don't want to spend yet another $70 + delivery costs. This, and the fact that I've seen a few people posting this problem, leads me to think that it could be the N1 its self.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The cellular mute wire is not connected to anything, which is what the service manual says to do if you don't have a cell phone to connect it to (admittedly, manuals aren't always correct...)

As far as bypassing goes, I don't know if there is an internal amp in my 4Runner to bypass. The N1 was originally installed by a professional installer and it worked for over a year. I had to take it out to replace the ribbon cable and it then worked for a day or so before the sound going (although i did notice that there was some static whenever the voice alerts came on). So, it's possible that something isn't connected correctly, but I can't figure out what that would be.

All I can think is that the amplifier stage has blown, but it's next to impossible for me to have it running while opened up so that I test the signals on the pins (even though I have a circuit diagram), since getting the brain and the connecting wire out of the car is a major deconstruction job... Plus I don't have an oscilloscope or the test DVD.

I was just hoping someone could point to something simple like a fuse or wrong wiring, before I send it in for repair.

Thanks