AVIC411.com

Getting the most out of mods?

Long time user of this forum and I've become quite comfortable with doing a number of things:

Running the emulator to test changes

Creating custom splash screens

Changing items in image.res

Modifying sys.txt

Software bypass

Installing mods (thanks to all the hard work other do to create them)

That stuff all seems pretty straight forward, however I am struggling to find threads or topics on how use the more advanced items beyond basic skining of mods or using the GPS functionality. Some of the things I am lost on are:

Mapswitcher - What does this do?

What is the different between NT (navteq) and TA (TeleAtlas) maps?

How can I run Garmin maps?

What is AutoKarta?

What are some of the external programs you can run?

Are there better voices then just the default female voice?

What other non-navigation related things are people doing with this?

How the heck does this new russian mod work, it seems to do things that weren't supposed to be possible?

Mapswitcher - What does this do?

What is the different between NT (navteq) and TA (TeleAtlas) maps?

How can I run Garmin maps?

What is AutoKarta?

What are some of the external programs you can run?

Are there better voices then just the default female voice?

What other non-navigation related things are people doing with this?

How the heck does this new russian mod work, it seems to do things that weren't supposed to be possible?

Well, I can try to help you out on some topics

1-Mapswitcher - All navigation systems come with either Navteq maps or Teleatlas maps. Garmin relies on 'Navteq' whereas 'tomtom' maps are based on 'Teleatlas'. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Here in Canada, the Navteq maps were always better because Teleatlas always had missing streets, etc.. That however, has changed considerably with the latest updates as they are now pretty good. The mapswitcher function allows you to switch between these two mapping systems on the fly. The only disadvantage to doing this is, is that there is not enough room in the Avic to place Navteq maps, so in order to install these, you have to delete Teleatlas maps that you do not use (such as Hawai, Alaska, Mexico, etc. as I live in Canada) and only install those Navteq maps that I directly use.

2-What is the different between NT (navteq) and TA (TeleAtlas) maps? - As it was explained above, they are just different mapping companies. In the US, TeleAtlas has always been great, but here in Canada, it has always been Navteq. Eg. My hotel room that I stay at on business is located on HWY2, which is a major highway. This is not even listed in even the newer Telesatlas maps when searching for it. However, using the Navteq maps, it is right there :)

3-How can I run Garmin maps?- Why would you want to? The layout and maps are so primitive to the layout of the Avic. I tried to install the Garmin system in my V3.0 mod earlier, and it looked like crap next to my schemes in the Avic, so instead of going backwards in visual functionality, I decided to scrap it.

4-What is AutoKarta?- I am not really sure what the purpose of Autocarta is. It is a function that is mostly used in Russian GPS systems and never has adapted over this way. When trying to do a search as to what its purpose is, there was never an answer.

5-What are some of the external programs you can run?- Every mod is different, in mine, you can run a backup program, you can run 'resinfo' which tells you the memory information that is being consumed as you are using the Avic, you can also run 'Total Commander' which shows you the file structure and allows you to work in it while having the navigation open. You just cant change any program that is being used.

6-Are there better voices then just the default female voice? - YES, this has been covered countless times in the 'HACKS/MODS' section. Do a search and you will find the answer. I dont use any voice as I always mute it.

7-How the heck does this new russian mod work, it seems to do things that weren't supposed to be possible? - This is a windows system, meaning that any program can run on it providing that it is written for WinCE.

3-How can I run Garmin maps?- Why would you want to? The layout and maps are so primitive to the layout of the Avic. I tried to install the Garmin system in my V3.0 mod earlier, and it looked like crap next to my schemes in the Avic, so instead of going backwards in visual functionality, I decided to scrap it.

5-What are some of the external programs you can run?- Every mod is different, in mine, you can run a backup program, you can run 'resinfo' which tells you the memory information that is being consumed as you are using the Avic, you can also run 'Total Commander' which shows you the file structure and allows you to work in it while having the navigation open. You just cant change any program that is being used.

Thanks for your responses. I can only spend so many hours digging around threads before I give up and just ask ;)

I will definately have to play around with the maps. I've already removed a lot of the ones I don't use, as I don't think I'll ever drive my car to AK, HI, Mexico, Virgin islands, etc.

3 - I agree that maps of the AVIC are great, but the routing algorythms and time estimates are mediocre at best. Things appear to be missing from the POI menu that I know are on Garmins/Tom Tom. Also, it doesn't seem to be cognisant of speed limits on roads and seems to calculate your time to arrival based on current speed. Sometimes the "fast" route is actually the slowest way to get there: ie: tons of lights. I always thought it would be cool to be able to run another NAV software on the AVIC, just to play around

5 - Is there a repository of WinCE apps to run? I saw some mentions of being able to tap into the onboard computer, run a web browser, etc but not sure where to grab source files.

Having just spent an hour trying to search for other voices and instructions to dload them and install them, I wonder if someone could suggest some search term. My searches end up with a bunch of VR results, drowning the GPS voice posts. "GPS Voice" doesn't return much that's useful, and TTS won't work as a search term.

brain

Having just spent an hour trying to search for other voices and instructions to dload them and install them, I wonder if someone could suggest some search term. My searches end up with a bunch of VR results, drowning the GPS voice posts. "GPS Voice" doesn't return much that's useful, and TTS won't work as a search term.

I also spent about 30 minutes digging through threads and could not find additional voices. As mentioned above TTS is defined as too narrow a search term, even if other words are appended.