AVIC411.com

Z2 Announced

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you follow Pioneers history at all, you would know that they only make changes to their Nav systems every two generations. The D1 didn't improve drastically until the D3. The N1 didn't improve until the ipod/XM fix in the N3. Just how they are...First a software update, then the fixes the following year

Judging from that demo the Z2 appears to only be a software update and nothing else. Same HDD, same buttons, same defects and nothing fixed. Yeaaaaa Gooooo Pioneeeeeeer way to fix all the things that suck about the Z1 :roll:

:twisted:

The new POI icons are nice (you actually see a McDonalds logo on the map as it comes into proximity, for example.

Hey I dont get a McDonald's logo. I just get a generic hamburger indicating fast food restaurant. I think I just get Subway and Arby's.

I did see that McDonalds logo on the cnet review.

wait a minute, i bought mine in November 2006 and i only got mine for 1400.00, i didn't know it was that high......

It used to be. Yah, some of us even pre-ordered it for that price :( But as whtcrxghst said, everything keeps getting cheaper. Just the law of the land. I remember paying $3000 for my 286 PC. No one would pay that anymore :)

I bet you bought the same shitty Radio Shack 286 I did...

• 4 weeks later...
Pioneer is releasing a new ipod cable that works with the D3 so I assume it works with 5900 as well. It transfers video and it is supposed to be "full speed" similar to the alpine cable. The Z2 is only a software update from the Z1 so it will not use this cable, it will use the CDIB100 or 100II

Anybody notice the different iPod layout on the 5900? They use a picture similar to the iPod click wheel. If that works for the Z2 that's great and all, but considering that Pioneer is still saying iPod connection is through the CD-IB100II I'm assuming it's still going to be slow as hell..? Yea and the only thing they could've possibly done to an existing "learning" feature is improve it.

Seeing as the IPBus appears to be a USB type interface I don't see why a new iPod adapter + software upgrade can't integrate video and faster iPod navi. Same goes for MP3 on DVD. Unfortunately it might just come down to the bottom line. If the firmware on this thing were hackable this thing has loads of potential...

Because they would have to raise the price

Why can't Pioneer put a bigger hard drive in the thing? 10GB fills up way to quickly. I'd buy a new 50GB Z2 hard drive and pop it in my Z1.

Just bought a 320gig Seagate SATA for $99. That's my retail cost. To put an 80gig drive in, they'd have to raise the price ten whole dollars!! But as someone else said ......... I've put 50 CDs in already and haven't dented the space on the drive. The average users won't ever fill the existing drive.

Dennis -==- Philly

The new POI icons are nice (you actually see a McDonalds logo on the map as it comes into proximity, for example.

Hey I dont get a McDonald's logo. I just get a generic hamburger indicating fast food restaurant. I think I just get Subway and Arby's.

I did see that McDonalds logo on the cnet review.

Hmmmmm ....... on mine, every time I pass a fast food restaurant I get an icon that looks like the international trans-fat logo :)

Dennis -==- Philly

Thats not a laptop size drive is it? Thought they were more expensive than that

Just bought a 320gig Seagate SATA for $99. That's my retail cost. To put an 80gig drive in, they'd have to raise the price ten whole dollars!! But as someone else said ......... I've put 50 CDs in already and haven't dented the space on the drive. The average users won't ever fill the existing drive.

Dennis -==- Philly

Thats not a laptop size drive is it? Thought they were more expensive than that

Dennis -==- Philly

No, it is a desktop drive ........ so a little less expensive ........ but still retail and about three times the size that would be reasonable. OK ..... they'd have to bump it $20.

Dennis -==- Philly