AVIC411.com

Question about "off" - doesn't seem to ever happen

I've had the Z1 installed and working now for a month or so and am pretty impressed with its performance, sound etc. Except for some of the common problems discussed here I'm a satisfied customer. And, I gotta say this group has been GREAT in helping and I thank everyone for their input.

Now, my next question is "how do I turn things off?". When I select the off option in the AV screen it shuts down the sound, but I don't seem to be getting a remote signal that turn my amps off. I haven't checked it with a meter, but, I know tha amp responded to the remote signal with its previous head unit. That means I live with a little bit of hiss/noise from my system's imperfections when I need a moment of peace and quiet.

I have looked pretty carefully throught the manual and in the forum but haven't seen much on "off". Any help or ideas about this would be a great help.

thanks,

Joe

The remote turn on stays active on purpose. Its designed to still give you navigation instructions even when you have it sourced off. That leaves you a couple of choices--fix your noise problems OR install a switch on the remote turn on lead letting you control when its on or off

I guess that makes some kind of sense. Having voice navigation instructions available all the time, even when no navigation is occurring seems a bit extreme.

As for "fixing" my noise problems, I'm not sure how. The diesel in the F-350 apparently puts out a lot of noise. I've got all the power wires running in a straight line to the amps under the carpet, a single ground block bolted to the chassis for all amps installed within a foot of them, and noise filters at the inputs side of the amps on the shielded signal wires that are run under the doors on the driver side. I suppose I could ground the shields on the signal wires but don't hold high hope for getting rid of "all" the noise. Its not noticeable when the head unit is playing music unless it is set very low. But, when it is "hibrinating" it is audible.

Joe