AVIC411.com

Back up Cam Install on bmw X5 not working

Hey everyone, I just finish install the z130bt into a 2006 bmw x5. I hooked up a regular back up cam to the HU, just its not showing up when switched into reverse.I know the reverse cam works because I plug the video cable to the AV1 and it works and, also when its plugged into the brown cord when I can split the screen. Im getting 12volts power from the where the radio gets power I guess ACC. I hooked up the purple signal wire and ran it to the positive of the reverse lights, but I dont see a picture automatically comes on. The volts from the reverse light are about 10.4 volts. Could that be the problem? Like I said, reverse cam works but not automatically when switched to Reverse.

Did you check the setting for the cam on the radio? I believe there is 2 settings u can change. ON/OFF and 12V/GND

The setting I checked was under reverse cam settings I believed. It said Reverse cam " on and off " and Polarity "Power or Ground" I have it for On and Power for both settings.

check the purple wire and make sure it is getting 12V when in reverse. Also would be a good test to apply 12V and see if the radio switches to rev cam mode.

I checked the purple wire but its gets 10.4 volts. When the car is switched into reverse I only get 10.4 volts. Could that be the problem?

it should be around 12V, but go ahead disconnect the purple wire and temporary hook up battery 12V to it, to see if the cam comes on.

ok, so what your saying is disconnect the purple wire from the reverse lights and hook it up directly to a 12volt battery to see if it comes on?

alright thanks, Ill give it a try first thing tomorrow and let you know

BTW, I doubt that the difference between 10.4 and 12V matters to the backup sensor circuitry, but there is something wrong with your wiring if you only get 10.4 volts when your car is running. Your car is running, right?

ok guys, I checked the connection status and its low in park and high in reverse. It worked once and after that it stopped. and in the connection status it went from high back to low. So I disconnected the purple wire from the reverse lights and hooked it up to the battery and it works perfectly. i tried like 5 times. I did a search about back up cams with bmw and people were saying that our cars don't give a 12volt at reverse and how its a pulse signal so we need to wire a relay but before i go into that i wanted to chime in here first.